Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Automatic cleaner for vinyl pool with deep end?

1. Back To Top    #1

Automatic cleaner for vinyl pool with deep end?

I am looking to get an automatic cleaner for my pool this year, since last year I think I spent more time vacuuming than I did swimming... I think I'll go swimming more often if my pool's cleaner and I don't have to spend an hour vacuuming first.

My pool is an above-ground pool with a dug out deep end, so it's a vinyl liner but not flat. So I'm guessing the robots designed for above ground pools won't work so good because I do have a deep end. I'm just worried that if I get a robot designed for an in-ground pool it could be rougher on the vinyl. Also, since the pool was installed by my dad/brother etc, it does have quite a few wrinkles in the liner, so there are some ridges that a cleaner could get caught on. Should I be worried about that?

I get some leaves and misc. stuff in my pool, but not too much, and I'm not that fussy to need the cleaner to cover 100%. As long as it keeps my pool mostly clean I'll be happy.

So, given all that... does anyone have any recommendations what would work good here? Or at least suggestions that could narrow down what definitely would or would not work good to narrow down my search?

Thanks in advance for any help
    18' x 38' x 52" oval AGP with 6' deep end (foam on the walls, preformed coving, and Happy Bottom floor padding)
    Pentair Optiflow 1 HP 2 Speed pump
    Pentair cc200 cartridge filter
    Pentair UltraTemp Model 110 BLK 108,000 BTU Heat Pump
    2 Intex SWG's (copper unplugged)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Automatic cleaner for vinyl pool with deep end?

Wrinkles are a real problem with auto-vacs. How tall are they?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The wrinkles/ridges are maybe 1/2 inch to an inch wide, mostly flat, not too many actually standing up. The worst area is the flat ledge between the walls and the deep end, where there are a ton of them because of how the liner is changing angles so much on a curve etc.
    18' x 38' x 52" oval AGP with 6' deep end (foam on the walls, preformed coving, and Happy Bottom floor padding)

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Even flat a 1/2 inch wrinkle may give you some problems. I would suggest one for the better robots (I can't help with a particular brand) in the $600 plus range would handle that size pool and the floor but be sure it is returnable in case it has issues navigating.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I have had wrinkles in previous liners in my pool many years ago, at the time I had a Kreepy Krauly suction side cleaner (original model) and it had not issues getting stuck on the wrinkles. I can't comment on specific modern units though, as this was 20+ years ago.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm considering the Dolphin DX5, $770 at http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Dolph...ynamic-DX5.htm, or a Dolphin Nautilus, $600 at http://www.backyardpoolsuperstore.co...FYMcOgodSjgA-w.

Descriptions of the 2 don't seem to vary much... is the DX5 built more sturdy, or do anything special to be worth the $170 extra? By the descriptions, the Nautilus almost sounds newer/smarter...