"mystery" valves and heater

Aug 3, 2013
Houston
Hello,

For the past month or so, without any rhyme or reason, the actuators on the pool and spa suction/returns change to spa position while in pool mode. Usually, it seems, this is when the pool starts up its daily cycle in the morning. Also, at some point during the day, they switch to the correct position. Additionally, the spa heater will come on without being programmed to do so, although this is more infrequent than the other issue. I have manually switched off the heater as I don't want to waste energy or have it come on when no one is home, asleep, etc. I have checked the programming and there don't appear to be any "layers" that are interfering with proper functioning. Is my controller on the fritz? Any other ideas? I don't think the actuators are broken if that helps trouble shooting.

Thank you for your ideas and suggestions, I'm really stumped!

One further question: On the controller, the heater button lights change from red to green--what is the difference?

Hi there! I see no one is responding, so maybe you're stumped, too? If there is anyone who has some thoughts or ideas as to what's going on I'd really appreciate it. I'd like to understand the problem.

I would start by disconnecting the spa side remote and see if that solves the problem. It should be fairly easy to disconnect the wire at the main control box, at least if you can figure out which one it is. If that solves the problem, you may well need to replace the remote.

One more question: how do you tell which model the switch is for replacement (in case this is the problem, but I suspect you nailed it)? I know it's a Jandy, but I can't tell what model, for example, 100', 150', 200'.

Follow up--I found a thread here (this is really and truly the best site ever--the day I have enough knowledge to participate I will happily pay back all the good help I've gotten)--I understand that those numbers refer to wire/cord lengths, so I answered my own question, but, I haven't been able to ascertain whether I can re-use the cord I have and only replace the side switch or perhaps this is not recommended?

You need to replace the panel and the cord. They are one sealed unit. You can find out the cord length by pulling the current one out and measuring it. If you do that make sure to pull in something you can use to pull the new cord through.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.