Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Losing Sand During Backwash

1. Back To Top    #1

Losing Sand During Backwash

I have only owned my home with an in ground pool for one year now, and towards the end of the season last year, I just couldn't fight off the algae/pollen. I think it may have been pollen, due to low FC loss, it was a yellow/green color and would settle on the bottom of the pool and puff up in big clouds when brushed.

Anyhow... I was finally able to beat it when I noticed that the sand in my filter was incredibly low, so I did a complete sand replacement, the sand on top was a black/green mess, I also wanted to check my laterals. I think I may be backwashing too often, but have also noticed sand in the sight glass when I do backwash.

Is sand loss normal when backwashing?

I was accustomed to backwashing often due to the SWAMP I had when I opened last year. My concern is this, how often should I have to add sand to my filter? I would think never, but it seems like it may be a problem, what can cause this?

I plan on opening this weekend, and getting a new pressure gauge for my filter.

Are there any recommendations on gauges? I know to get a water filled one, but where can I find one?

Thanks in advance.
    24,000 gallon
    Vinyl Liner
    In Ground Pool
    Hayward super pump 1hp
    Hayward S220T 250lb. Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Losing Sand During Backwash

Here are the short answers:
    You shouldn't normally lose sand during backwashing.
    You should not have to add sand, ever.
    Only backwash when the filter pressure goes up 25%. There's no reason to backwash any more than this.
    Gauges can be found in lots of places. I would personally order mine off Amazon, but then I live on Amazon.

The only thing I can't think of is why you would be losing sand. Is it possible you overfilled the filter? It should only be filled to the bottom of the top dome. In other words, it should be filled only to the top of the vertical side, right before it starts to curve to form the dome.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Losing sand during backwashing points to a bad spider gasket. Your next step will probably need to be a disassembly of the multiport.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

Replaced the gasket over the weekend, YAY! So we will see what happens.

Also, picked up this gauge off Amazon, so far it seems nice, easy to read, hope it lasts:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006JJ7BXU/..._M3T1_ST1_dp_1

Thanks for your help guys.
    24,000 gallon
    Vinyl Liner
    In Ground Pool
    Hayward super pump 1hp

5. Back To Top    #5

Please post the aftermath, it will add to our store of collective knowledge.

Also, how did you replace the spider gasket? I made my suggestion without seeing your signature, and I didn't think the spider gaskets on Hayward multiports were serviceable. I have the same filter in the smaller size, so if you're successful, this is going to be great info to have.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months

6. Back To Top    #6

I will try to get the pictures up tonight. My filter may be older than most. According to a guy I know who is a "pool guy" he said it is serviceable on the "old" style and not on the "new" style.

Also, I still feel I am getting sand in the backwash process, and am not sure how to stop it. In theory, running the water through the filter backwards could lead to sand coming out the top right?

I am super happy with the gauge.
    24,000 gallon
    Vinyl Liner
    In Ground Pool
    Hayward super pump 1hp

7. Back To Top    #7

In theory, but it would have to be plumbed backwards.