Intake valve leak

Apr 15, 2014
hemet, CA
Hey guys...just set up my intex 16 x 48 (first timer) and I noticed as the water level reached the intake for the pump that I had a small leak.
I think I know why and its because I didnt get the O ring inside to sit right into its groove!
luckily I caught it in time but now I need to drain some water out in order to fix it.
If I take the valve off at the hose will it start draining out?
My whole back yard is DIRT so I really dont want a huge mud puddle as I am still in the process of working on the back yard.
Or if I hook the hose up to the drain plug will I be able to stop the water from draining once it starts?
Any ideas on what I should do to get about 6 inches of water out of the entire pool without making a HUGE mess?
Any help is MUCH appreciated!!

Welcome to TFP!

If you have someone to help, you can have them hold a bowl or other container against the wall inside the pool over the strainer. It won't eliminate all the leakage, but at least it will be a slow trickle. You can reset the O-ring then.

Have you read any in Pool School? Might be a good thing, so you have an idea how to care for your new pool. The methods taught there will keep your water sparkling and safe for swimmers. Link is at the top right of every page here.

A good test kit is essential, so check out the test kit comparison, also in Pool School.

Some of the things in Pool School may seem overly complex to a first timer, but rereading will help it all come together.

Worked like a charm! Thank you so much for that idea... Now we just need a bit more to fill,get the water ready and have this thing ready for my daughters birthday party this weekend! Once again thank you and I will be reading the pool school as recommended!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.