First SLAM losing 14 ppm of Chlorine

Feb 18, 2014
Houston, TX
I did a drain and fill and replaced all of the water. The water turned a light transparent green. I just added chlorine and did not SLAM. I wanted to get all the levels correct. I brought the CC from 2.5 to 0.5 and then adjusted my PH and CYA. After about a week I started to SLAM. Im shooting for 12ppm of FC min.

SLAM day 1 @ 3pm (4/13) sunny day

PH 7.6
CYA ~ 37
FC 5.5
CC 0.5
CH 130
TA 120
*added 3 gals on 8.25% bleach and 5 tablets

SLAM day 1 @ 9pm
FC 21
*added 1 gal on 8.25 bleach so FC is maybe ~ 26

SLAM day 2 @ 7am
FC = 25.5 (0.5ppm loss but tablets added chlorine so loss of chlorine was greater than 0.5ppm)

SLAM day 2 @ 8pm very cloudy
FC = 18
*added 2 gals on 8.25 bleach and removed tablets overnight for morning test

SLAM day 2 @ 9pm without tablets
FC = 26.5

SLAM day 3 @ 7am sunny
FC =25.5
*only 1 ppm loss. I add the same tablets back in

SLAM day 3 @ 7pm
FC = 12!!! is this normal loss?

Do I still need to keep SLAMing since I only reached a 1.0ppm chlorine loss and not 0.5? sorry for the long post

First, why are you using pucks while SLAMING ? We don't recommend them for SLAMMING. Have you read the SLAM process in pool school ?
I take it you were using a CYA level of 40 for SLAM FC level. Your FC level would be 16. An FC level of 26 is a little overkill. You'll lose more FC that way because the CYA level isn't high enough to protect the FC from burn off IMO.
I suggest you not use the pucks while SLAMMING.
What does your water look like ?
Your done with the SLAM when
Water is crystal clear
You can pass the OCLT
You have CC of 0.5 or less

On sunny day lost a lot more FC. That is normal. For a CYA around 40, it would not be unusual to lose more than 50% of the FC in a day which is why you are wasting money raising the FC so high.

You passed the OCLT, if there is no algae and your CC are near 0, then you are done.

I suggest you not use the pucks while SLAMMING.
What does your water look like ?
Your done with the SLAM when
Water is crystal clear
You can pass the OCLT
You have CC of 0.5 or less

I only am using pucks to slowly bring up the CYA to 40. I use liquid bleach.
The reason I ask about continuing to SLAM is because my OCLT was a loss of 1.0ppm instead of the suggested 0.5 -----answered below

I noticed that you said "transparent green." That sounds like metals in the water. Have you tested the fill? What is your fill source?

The water was clear in the evening at first but was green in the morning before direct sunlight as the pool was half full. I used the good ole hose to get city water as my fill water. I think it turned green because I added no chlorine.

On sunny day lost a lot more FC. That is normal. For a CYA around 40, it would not be unusual to lose more than 50% of the FC in a day which is why you are wasting money raising the FC so high.

You passed the OCLT, if there is no algae and your CC are near 0, then you are done.

Look like I might be bringing up my CYA. The higher the FC level the more it looses.... I only SLAM at a high level becuase I use to stay 5 ppm above the SLAM min to only find the FC went lower than the SLAM level when I get home. Im gone at least 12 hours a day

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.