Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Losing Salt - Leak??!

1. Back To Top    #1

Losing Salt - Leak??!

Now that winter is gone and my salt cell can start producing clorine again I went and had my salt levels test to find out I have well below normal amount. I didn't save the PPM, but added two 40lbs bags of salt last week and tested again. I'm now at 1700 ppm while the recommended is 3400 ppm.

How do I begin testing for a leak? I shut off the auto-fill four days ago and the water level is about 2 inches below normal. I did notice in my raised spa there are two cracks in the steps, but I just can't image that would be leaking that big. Attached are some pictures of it. Also have notice by the pool skimmer we have grass. That grass by the skimmer grows greener and faster than the other grass...

Here is link to pictures of the cracks noted. https://plus.google.com/photos/11362...Pf5raau87vHuAE

Thanks for any tips.
    Size of pool (gallons) = 15,000
    Pool Type: is IG (in ground)
    Construction: Plaster
    Filter type: DE
    Filter Manufacturer: SM/SMBW 2000 Series
    the size, model number or flow rate of the filter.
    Pump in HP = 2
    Pump is two speed
    Date of pool build/install = circa 2001
    with spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Losing Salt - Leak??!

Have you looked in Pool School ? There is an article about leak detection. For the cracks in the steps would you be able to use some dye to see if the dye gets sucked into the crack ?
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Losing Salt - Leak??!

Also search for the "bucket test" to confirm the water is draining from the pool faster than evaporation (which can be high here).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

If the bucket test confirms, look for the source for the "greener grass". In this case, it's not on the other side of the fence!
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

thank you for the fast responses. I'll research out the leak detection thread and try the bucket method mentioned. I would assume our evaporation rate is high right now, its been pretty hot and dry already.

I"m going to hold off on adding more salt right now until I do the bucket test.
    Size of pool (gallons) = 15,000
    Pool Type: is IG (in ground)
    Construction: Plaster
    Filter type: DE
    Filter Manufacturer: SM/SMBW 2000 Series
    the size, model number or flow rate of the filter.
    Pump in HP = 2
    Pump is two speed
    Date of pool build/install = circa 2001
    with spa