Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sheer descent arch options

1. Back To Top    #1

sheer descent arch options

Hi all,
    I planning to add the water feature this year and pretty much settled on the sheer descend type of waterfall as I have a wall that's coming up within one foot of the pool on one side. My trouble is, I can't figure out which sheer descend I need that will produce an appropriate arch to go over that one foot (coping) and into the pool. Most I see have a pretty narrow arch, almost straight down, and that will not work for me. Any feedback will be appreciated.
    thanks.
    19200gl rectangular gunite/diamondbrite perl pool || Coverpools auto cover || Jandy variable speed 2hp e-pump & Polaris PB4-60 booster pump || Polaris 3900 sport cleaner || Jandy CV filter || Jandy AqualinkRS8 w/Aqualink touch || Jandy iAqualink2.0 || Jandy Watercolors LED || Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWCG || Hayward auto chlorinator (backup) || Raypak 117k BTU heat pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: sheer descent arch options

With the correct elevation and flow rate, you should be able to achieve the projection you want. Here are some references that give charts showing the performance based on height and water flow.

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/magicfallsDS.pdf

http://www.pentairpool.com/products/...ffects-221.htm

http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/~/m.../H0347100.ashx

Have you considered moving the sheers closer to the pool? Sheers are often flush with the pool edge.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you James, I will check this out. Unfortunately I cannot move them closer as the wall was built right outside of the coping so it's one foot away. I suppose some kind of a lip/spillway can be constructed, but I'd rather not do that.

19200gl rectangular gunite/diamondbrite perl pool || Coverpools auto cover || Jandy variable speed 2hp e-pump & Polaris PB4-60 booster pump || Polaris 3900 sport cleaner || Jandy CV filter || Jandy AqualinkRS8 w/Aqualink touch || Jandy iAqualink2.0 || Jandy Watercolors LED || Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWCG || Hayward auto chlorinator (backup) || Raypak 117k BTU heat pump

4. Back To Top    #4

One thing you should consider is wind direction. We've just built a pool with three scuppers (sheer descents). In the winter the wind blows directly on the front side blowing the water back onto the stone wall causing it to leak through the back side - at least that's what the PB thinks since now that the wind has shifted and blowing mostly from the south, the wall is no longer wet. Also the scuppers are stone which he says causes the water to roll back under increasing the amount of water hitting the stone. He indicated the brass ones tend to shoot the water out into the pool.
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, good points. And looks like, after looking at the instructions from the links above, I may have another problem... Looks like sheer descents aren't going to work for me as the maximum install height should be no more then 3' for a sheer descent, and my height will be ~4.5'. Rainfall type should work though.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

something like this might work
    http://www.c-m-p.com/pool-products/w...ch-waterfalls/

somewhere on their site they have all the info for their regular sheer descents as well. They have 3 different levels of sheer descents. the 3000 series shoots out significantly further than the 1000 and 2000. I can't find it right now...but I have seen it before, so it exists.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    With the correct elevation and flow rate, you should be able to achieve the projection you want. Here are some references that give charts showing the performance based on height and water flow.

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/magicfallsDS.pdf

http://www.pentairpool.com/products/...ffects-221.htm

http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/~/m.../H0347100.ashx

Have you considered moving the sheers closer to the pool? Sheers are often flush with the pool edge.
    I have the three like the second link posted, they are about 36" above the water and set back from the edge by 10". the water easily makes it over the 10" ledge with about 12" to spare, with the pump set to 2000 rpm. They are 12" wide decents so if they were wider it may reduce the distance. I think the height limitation is so the water will still be 12" wide +- when it hits the pool, mine start at 12" wide but when they hit the water they are only about 6" so looking straight on the shape is more of a "v". If it is windy the water will be blown around some, good idea to consider the prevailing direction.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

8. Back To Top    #8

Great to know thanks for the feedback folks. Btw, his is what I have to work with (you can't see because of the cover, but there's also a foot of coping in front of the wall).

The choice I need to make is to either pop off the caps and I install sheers right under the caps, or built up and additional decorative wall on top and install sheers there, but that Ofcourse would be adding even more height. I even thought about fabing something as simple is that and mounting a pipe right under the cap. http://youtu.be/fAQ3DoRKDGI
    This would be an easy and a very inexpensive setup, but I'm not sure about the look...

9. Back To Top    #9

folks does anyone have experience with Pool Aquatics sheer descends? I'm considering getting a 60" version.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261138119123...84.m1423.l2649

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Azmp1 View Post
    Great to know thanks for the feedback folks. Btw, his is what I have to work with (you can't see because of the cover, but there's also a foot of coping in front of the wall).

The choice I need to make is to either pop off the caps and I install sheers right under the caps, or built up and additional decorative wall on top and install sheers there, but that Ofcourse would be adding even more height. I even thought about fabing something as simple is that and mounting a pipe right under the cap. http://youtu.be/fAQ3DoRKDGI
    This would be an easy and a very inexpensive setup, but I'm not sure about the look...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Way off topic, but how is your safety cover connected with that wall there? I am building something simliar but am stuggling figuring out how my safety cover will connect.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

11. Back To Top    #11

One method is to use eyebolts in the wall and hooks under the cover.

12. Back To Top    #12

^^^ ditto. That's exactly how mine is connected.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Azmp1 View Post
    ^^^ ditto. That's exactly how mine is connected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I get the eyebolts idea, what type of hooks under the cover?
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

14. Back To Top    #14

The hooks are integral to the cover. They are sewn into the straps. They are set back a few inches to get the cover to meet the wall.

15. Back To Top    #15

Yes, mine is similar, I have rings sewn into the cover. Then there's still cable that goes through the rings and gets hooked on to the hooks, the cable is tensioned onto the deck anchors on both sides. Works very well and it keeps the cover tight against the wall.

16. Back To Top    #16

Ahhh, so is the cover made specifically for a wall? Mine does not have hooks, its a meyco mesh.

17. Back To Top    #17

Yes, it's a special order cover.

18. Back To Top    #18

sheer descent arch options

Final update for my sheer descent story. All done and done and I'm pretty happy with the results. I ended up picking a 5ft pool aquatics sheer descent with color led option off eBay and it worked out great. No need for additional pump or even jacking up speed on my epump either at full open I get enough pressure and arch to overshoot the coping. So with finally getting the valve actuator working I now consider this project COMPLETE. ))
    Btw, I was quoted almost 2k to have a similar sheer descent done as part of the pool build, my cost ~$400.
    Final pics

19. Back To Top    #19

Great job.

20. Back To Top    #20

Thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast