Newbie needs a little help

Ok so I've read the TFP method and pool school. I've got a couple quick questions. First, I read all about how bleach/chlorine/sodium chlorite is the best to use for shocking and for adding chlorine because it doesn't add anything else to the water
besides chlorine. I understand that part of things but I've looked everywhere in Albuquerque NM and I can't find anyone that sells it at pool supply stores or chemical supply places. I can buy pool stuff wholesale and I checked with the wholesale guys
and retail places like leslies and I can't find it anywhere. I was trying to buy the higher percentage but it looks like store bleach is what I'm going to have to use. My question is I checked home depot and they sell the Clorox stuff but the msds sheet says the concentration is 5-10%. Does anyone know what the actual concentration so I can enter it into the pool calculator? The home depot brand stuff is cheaper and on the MSDS sheet it says 8.5%. Anybody have experience with both? Also, I added stabilizer today because leslies said I had 0. Second question is how long should I wait to test my CYA level before I Slam shock my pool? I need to know my CYA level before so I know how much chlorine to add Correct? All help and comments will be appreciated.

My pool is 18k gallons salt system plaster using a sand filter

Plain regular Chlorox is 8.25%. Pool Math has that as an option.

You cannot SLAM your pool relying on Leslie's testing. I hope you have one of the recommended test kits. Unless you started with a fresh fill, it's really unlikely you had zero CYA. If you added CYA, use Pool Math way down at the bottom where it says Effects of Adding Chemicals. It will tell you what the CYA should be. Use that calculated value to determine the FC level you need to SLAM. You can test the CYa level a few days after it's all dissolved.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Usually HD and Lowes also carry the 10% stuff in the pool section, although it sits outside which may weaken it by the end of the summer. Most bleach (Clorox included) is now 8.25% ... but check the label to confirm. In reality it all varies in strength some depending on how old it is and how it was stored.

I assume you already have one of the recommended test kits? If so, you can start to SLAM now, just assume the CYA is at the target you were shooting for. Then in a week, test the CYA and confirm it. Also be sure to adjust the pH first as described in the SLAM Process article.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.