LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2008
Sidney, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a 5-year old 17'x29' rectangular Splash Superpool that holds 15,000 gallons. The dealer included a Sta-Rite Hi-Rate sand filter (P/N JSAL180E-58 also marked T-180WF) and a 1hp Sta-Rite pump (P/N ABG4E-2A4). The plastic base that holds the filter and pump cracked and will need to be replaced. This may be a good time for me to upgrade the filter and I would like some size advice.

The pool is used almost exclusively for our dogs and their canine friends. It's not uncommon for us to have 6-10 dogs in the pool four or five days a week. I have been able to keep the chemistry in line, but the dogs carry a lot of particulate matter into the pool which often results in cloudy water. It is sometimes a struggle to keep the water as clear as I'd like.

The sand filter label says it's 1.57 sqft and I am wondering if it would be worth switching to a bigger filter. If so, how big should I go? If I upsize, can I keep the 1hp pump? Is bigger always better, or is there a point of diminishing returns?

Thanks!

Tom

For a 15k pool, I would recommend a ~23" sand filter. The bigger filter reduces the frequency of having to backwash. Your existing pump will be fine although should consider a 2-speed motor when you pump eventually dies to save some money on power.

Cloudy water is generally due to lack of FC ... if you are going to have heavy use, smart to bump up the FC either before or after. Not uncommon to get a little cloudy during heavy use though.

With all the dog, you should likely use a skimmer sock to keep the hair out of the filter.

Thanks, Jason!

We always have a sock on the skimmer. It's amazing how much hair it catches, especially when a new dog has been in the pool.

I backwash when the pressure rises 8-10 psi over my clean reading. I'd say on average that's every 10-14 days, sooner if I have added DE to the filter. I should probably track that more closely.

Tom

We recommend backwashing when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure, which is probably more often than you were doing. Thus the larger filter I think would make sense in your case.

The plastic base that holds the filter and pump cracked and will need to be replaced.
Can't you just take the filter and pump off the base?

But if you do replace the filter, doubling the size will more or less double the time between cleaning if that is of interest.

I'll have to take the pump off the base, but then I also need to find something to which to mount it and something for the filter to stand on. I'll get another base if I keep the same filter, but I thought this might be a good time to upgrade if it made sense. The dogs carry a lot more stuff into the pool than people do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.