Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool school article on opening?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool school article on opening?

Perhaps I missed it, but I did look! We just had our pool installed in the fall, so this is the first spring I've had a pool that I've opened. The pool company that built it is opening it up and getting it running, but the initial water chemistry and getting it as it should be will be on me. I'm a bit intimidated by it, but love technical details and learning. Any pointers to articles or threads that are of sound advice would be appreciated. My search resulted in so many, I wasn't sure where to start!

Thanks.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool school article on opening?

Best advice for the opening chemistry is to get the water circulating for at least an hour, then do a full set of tests to find out what needs to be adjusted.

Hard to write an article when everyone is starting in a different place chemically.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Just as Jason suggested. Every pool is different. Take your tests then adjust your levels as needed.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

There is an article on opening an above ground pool. In-ground pools have essentially the same process. But that probably covers what they will be doing for you, rather then what you need to do after it is open.

Once open, all you really need to do is test the water and adjust as needed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Hmmm. Rather simple I guess then. Thanks all. So you don't necessarily need to SLAM a pool just because it's sat, as long as levels can be adjusted before algae presents itself?
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

6. Back To Top    #6

Pool school article on opening?

When I opened mine I brought my FC up to SLAM level. You can do it either way.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Depends on what you water looks like. If you see algae, then SLAM is required. If it is clear and you still have some FC registering from when you closed, then you may not need to SLAM.

You can always raise the FC up toward SLAM level and Perform the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if you need to complete the SLAM.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!