Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new to this pool thing

1. Back To Top    #1

new to this pool thing

Hello! My name is Kari and I'm learning to love my pool-thanks to TFP. But, there have been some bumps in the road....currently trying to decide whether we made a mistake in our latest pump purchase:

Bought a house(3 yrs ago) with a pool-appr. 20x40 in-ground, 3 ft shallow-10ft deep, guessing 37,000/gal, spa attached, no heater(yet), replaced the old pump with exact same one last year(2 hp Challenger). Problem is that our electric bills were running $300-$400/month more once we open. We do not have a timer, we are open to replacing the pump with anything that can lower that bill-or would adding the timer show enough improvement? We probably ran the pump 8-12 hrs/day.(maybe that was overkill?) Would like to add a heater, but need to get the cost down on that electric bill first. Does this sound like something that can be accomplished or is this a 'welcome to pool ownership' moment? We open the pool May-Oct.

(not sure where that signature is coming from, I'm Kari from Kansas City, not Bob)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new to this pool thing

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, you should be able to get that bill down. Even with the spa, 2hp is probably too big. You can reduce your run time and downsize your motor and you should see substantial savings on the electric bill. I'll let the pump sizing experts to chime in to give you the details.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Even with a generous allowance for inefficiency and assuming the pump actually produces 2HP, you are talking about ~22.5KWH per day running the pump 12 hours. If your rate is 15 cents per KWH, that is about $3.37 a day or $100 a month. Almost certainly your pool isn't using that much electricity. At best, you might squeeze $30 or $40 out of your bill by going with a better efficiency pump, and more than likely it won't make a noticeable difference. Not that it isn't worthwhile, but it probably isn't the main source of your high electric bills.

There was a glitch with signatures in the changeover to the new forum software, and it seems to have affected people who didn't have signatures more often than others.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!!

The easiest way to save money is to not run the pump ... so step one would be to reduce the run time down and verify it keeps the pool clean enough for you. Could be only 4 hours. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-pump-run-time

The next best option is to replace the motor with a 2-speed pump and you would only run on high for the spa or filter cleaning. Low speed uses 25% of the power as on high speed but moves 1/2 the water. So even running twice as long on low would save 50% of the power consumption.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to the forum. +1 to jblizzle's selection on replacing the motor with a 2-speed and reading the Pump Run Time article he referenced. The process described in that article is the one I used in determining my pump run time and I was able to reduce it dramatically.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

What about changing the impeller size in the existing pump guys?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

That would be another good initial and cheaper way to reduce electrical costs.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    What about changing the impeller size in the existing pump guys?
    I did this myself last year. Even with a slight increase in run time, the energy savings were noticeable. I went from 1HP to 3/4 HP and I couldn't feel a difference at the return, either.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry