Salt level reading Taylor Kit vs Generator Reading

Mar 2, 2012
Cooper City, FL
Hello,

I am getting a discrepancy between the level I get when I test the salt level with the Taylor Kit and what the generator marks.

The aqua rite read 3100 ppm and when tested using the Taylor Kit got 2400 ppm, I then added a bag of salt and aqua rite reads 3400 ppm and Taylor Kit 2800 ppm. In the past both the Taylor test and the generator would give me the same number. I suspect the generator reading might be wrong because the last time I added a bag was in November and I had to SLAM the pool last week even though I had the generator at 50% (usually 25% does the trick).

Why one should I trust? Is there a way to reset the aqua rite reading?

Thanks,

That discrepancy is quite common. The best approach is to just leave things alone as long as the SWG is functioning and producing chlorine.

If it is happy with the amount of salt in the pool, then make no adjustments.

As long as the AquaRite is happy, leave things alone.

The only thing you really need to watch for is when the AquaRite reads a much lower salt level than the Taylor kit. That indicates that either the cell plates have become scaled with calcium scale, or the cell is wearing out.

Since your AquaRite reads higher than the Taylor kit, you are just fine.

None of the salt tests are all that precise, reading +-400 at best, so you are within the normal variance for the test results.

Just to add to this, these test work in different ways. The SWG is measuring the ease at which electricity passes through the water, salt level is a big factor in this. By comparison the salt test is measuring the presence of salt itself. As others have said as long as the SWG is happy you should be good.

Ike

No, the best you can do in theory with a Taylor test (best avail option) is +-300, and getting to there is complex (and not worth the trouble). +-400 is more than good enough for what actually matters, checking to see if the SWG cell plates are wearing out.

I had to SLAM the pool last week even though I had the generator at 50% (usually 25% does the trick).

It's important to check the FC levels periodically to ensure that you have adequate chlorine levels for your CYA.

Remember that the percentage is based on pump run time, and if you're running pump less, it will make less chlorine at the same percent setting.

You can check to see if the chlorinator is working by scrolling through the diagnostics. Also, you should be checking the "instant" salt reading and the "average" salt reading.

What is your water temperature?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.