Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt level reading Taylor Kit vs Generator Reading

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt level reading Taylor Kit vs Generator Reading

Hello,

I am getting a discrepancy between the level I get when I test the salt level with the Taylor Kit and what the generator marks.

The aqua rite read 3100 ppm and when tested using the Taylor Kit got 2400 ppm, I then added a bag of salt and aqua rite reads 3400 ppm and Taylor Kit 2800 ppm. In the past both the Taylor test and the generator would give me the same number. I suspect the generator reading might be wrong because the last time I added a bag was in November and I had to SLAM the pool last week even though I had the generator at 50% (usually 25% does the trick).

Why one should I trust? Is there a way to reset the aqua rite reading?

Thanks,
    10080 gallons 28x12 rectangular pool. 1HP Hayward Maxiflo pump. 75 sqft Hayward Cartridge Filter. SWG Hayward Aquarite. iRobot Verro 300 Pool Cleaner. Plaster color Pewter.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Salt level reading Taylor Kit vs Generator Reading

That discrepancy is quite common. The best approach is to just leave things alone as long as the SWG is functioning and producing chlorine.

If it is happy with the amount of salt in the pool, then make no adjustments.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

As long as the AquaRite is happy, leave things alone.

The only thing you really need to watch for is when the AquaRite reads a much lower salt level than the Taylor kit. That indicates that either the cell plates have become scaled with calcium scale, or the cell is wearing out.

Since your AquaRite reads higher than the Taylor kit, you are just fine.

None of the salt tests are all that precise, reading +-400 at best, so you are within the normal variance for the test results.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Just to add to this, these test work in different ways. The SWG is measuring the ease at which electricity passes through the water, salt level is a big factor in this. By comparison the salt test is measuring the presence of salt itself. As others have said as long as the SWG is happy you should be good.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Would doubling the sample size and reagants give you twice the accuracy? As in 200 ppm instead of 400 ppm.
    27,000 gallon vinyl in ground
    Sta-rite system 3 de filter
    Sta-rite dura glass pump
    Autopilot digital with sc-48 (currently being repaired)
    Tf-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

No, the best you can do in theory with a Taylor test (best avail option) is +-300, and getting to there is complex (and not worth the trouble). +-400 is more than good enough for what actually matters, checking to see if the SWG cell plates are wearing out.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Arobeth View Post
    I had to SLAM the pool last week even though I had the generator at 50% (usually 25% does the trick).
    It's important to check the FC levels periodically to ensure that you have adequate chlorine levels for your CYA.

Remember that the percentage is based on pump run time, and if you're running pump less, it will make less chlorine at the same percent setting.

You can check to see if the chlorinator is working by scrolling through the diagnostics. Also, you should be checking the "instant" salt reading and the "average" salt reading.

What is your water temperature?

8. Back To Top    #8

I too have an AquaRite that is reading 3,200 ppm and Taylor K-1766 is reading 2,600 ppm. Seems to be no issue as you have stated so I will leave it alone.
    Southern Ohio, 18'x36', 8'x3' deep, Vinyl, Hayward 1hp Super Pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward AquaRite 25k SWG, 5-3'x8' Solar Panels, Hayward AquaSolar, Aqua Pro 137k Heat Pump

Taylor K-2006, Taylor K-1766, Taylor SpeedStir, hth 6-Way with OTO