Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cracked Return Pipe

1. Back To Top    #1

Cracked Return Pipe

I have a crack in one of my return pipes and want to make sure I understand the steps in fixing it. I am sure of where it is because I was able to isolate the leak to the return pluming and then had someone come out and do a leak detection to narrow down the location.

My plan is to cut a hole in the concrete deck so I can dig down to the return behind the pool wall. Hopefully, the crack is far enough from the pool wall that I can repair the pipe with a slipfix. But what if the pipe has a crack inside pool wall?

2. Back To Top    #2

SW Georgia

Re: Cracked Return Pipe

If the crack involves the fitting that houses the directional ball you will need to drain the pool down past the fitting in order to fix the crack. If you are lucky you will be able to just plug all the returns and fix it without draining any water.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

3. Back To Top    #3

How would I fix that fitting if it was cracked? Just throw some epoxy on the crack and hope it holds?

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Most likely it is a cracked glue joint. If it is the actual fitting that is a little different depending on what type of pool you have.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics