Hayward Aquaconnect vs Tabletop wireless remote

Jan 2, 2014
As part of our 'deluxe' pool equipment package, we had Hayward's ProLogic PL-P4 installed. My understanding is there are two main options for controlling the ProLogic panel wirelessly;

- Hayward Aquaconnect and smartphone via Hayward's app
- Hayward's wireless Tabltop remote

I assume that either option will require the purchase of Hayward's wireless base that attaches to the ProLogic panel?

We will be using the relays as follows;

- 2 relays to control the Hayward 2 speed pump
- 1 relay to control the booster pump for a Polaris 280 cleaner
- 1 relay for the pool lights
- 1 Extra relay for landscape lighting

The way it was explained to me by our electrician is that without a remote, the ProLogic panel can only control this 5th relay via programmed timer (no on demand on/off capability as there is no button for a 5th relay on the PL-P4 brains). With the addition of a remote, this 5th relay can be turned on/off on demand.

So, with that said, does anyone have feedback on one option vs the other.

Has anyone utilized a 5th relay with the PL-P4 panel and controlled it with one of the options?

Price breaks down like this;

- Aquaconnect (370.00 from PolytecPools) plus wireless base (130.00) = 500.00
- Tabletop remote (390.00) plus wireless base (130.00) = 520.00

Cheers!
Jon

I haven't read too many good things on the wireless remotes. And I thought the AquaConnect was too expensive. I opted for a hardwired remote control panel for $130. It's in the kitchen and works great. When outside, I just go over to the AquaPlus panel.

I haven't read too many good things on the wireless remotes. And I thought the AquaConnect was too expensive. I opted for a hardwired remote control panel for $130. It's in the kitchen and works great. When outside, I just go over to the AquaConnect panel.

Thanks for the feedback Steve.

Anyone else ever use Aquaconnect or have second hand feedback??

I should have added more info. What I read was about batteries not lasting and they can't be replaced. And the waterproof units not being that waterproof. I'd lean toward the web connected option than the wireless remotes because of that.

Pulled the trigger on the Aquaconnect option.

Ended up being 499.00 for the aquaconnect and wireless base from Polytec Pools (free shipping).

I'll be sure to provide a review once everything is up and running (late May).

We have the PL-PS-8 Prologic unit. As part of the installation package, the PB included the Remote Antenna module and the AquaPod remote. The AquaPod is good in that you can leave by (or even in) the pool since it is waterproof. But, it has very slow response to button pushes. I bought the PS-8 Wireless Tabletop Remote. I love this remote. It gives you basically the exact same screen and buttons as on the Prologic panel. I normally keep it on the kitchen counter so I can easily check the water temp and pH and turn the various pump modes on or off. My wife will tell you that while it is her pool, it is my toy. I love exploring the various settings and options available in the Prologic. The wireless remote lets me sit at the kitchen counter and play. :whoot:

The PS-8 has 6 Aux circuits and you can use the Group function to create customized cycles. I have one group to filter the pool, another to filter the spa, and another to run spillover. Press one button and the actuators turn, the variable pump speed is set, and the pump starts. You also include turning on the spa blower, turning on the heat pump, turning on the pool lights and/or the ropelights that I installed around the pool area.

This will be our second full summer with the pool and equipment (pool build completed Oct. 2012), and I'm very happy with the Prologic. My one gripe is that I should have gone for the PL-PS-16 so I could have more Aux circuits and Groups to play with. ;)

Well I've been using the Aquaconnect for almost a month and wanted to share some feedback...

Setup: very straightforward and the instructions were easy to follow. It was trivial for me however I do have a technical / IT security background. I have the Aquaconnect device located about 65-75 feet from the Pro-Logic panel and signal strength is good enough but on the low end of the manual designated acceptable level.

Functionality: There are two different ways to access the panel controls, web address or iOS app. I've used both and each has the same functionality. The user can essentially make any changes through the web/iOS app which can be done via the panel.

Use: I've used botht the web and iOS apps but like the iOS app best. The web app is very plain and looks 80s. In use, the response time when making setting changes / turning functions on/off is a little slow. Better sometimes than others, but if you are wanting to make major setting changes then you are better off doing them from the panel to limit frustration.

Overall I'm fairly pleased with the functionality, etc. it's also sweet to flash the app to a fellow pool owner and see their look of amazement when they realize I can control my pool from my phone :).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Our iOS app takes approx 30-60 seconds to "register" each command before it executes. Is this what everyone experiences?

Hey sky - my delay is 2-4 seconds before executing commands via the ios app.

Is it any quicker when executing commands from the aquaconnect website? What about when accessing the IP address of the controller from your internal network?

Hey sky - my delay is 2-4 seconds as well from iOS and Android. I find the using the AquaConnect website to be much slower. I wonder why none of the interfaces seem to disable or change the state of the buttons until it receives a response.

Thanks for the replies.
Yes, when I use the Aquaconnect website it executes right away with little delay...and that is outside on my iPad via same wireless and it's quick. When I change over to the iOS app its really slow, to the point it's not really usable. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.