skimmer diverter

Apr 8, 2014
Louisiana
I didnt even know what this thing was until i saw it identified in another thread. Why would i want to used it? It sounds like it reduces suction on the skimmer which puts more on the main drain but why would i want to do that?

It is exactly like you said, it allows you to draw some water from the floor which may slightly improve circulation.

It is also a safety feature where if the water drops below the skimmer the float will drop and water will be pulled from the floor instead of running the pump dry and possibly damaging it.

I believe some are also used when there are 2 or more skimmers and they are plumbed together, as the first skimmer would have greater suction without a little extra resistance to even things out.

I like having the diverter because without it, the main drain doesn't do anything.

With it, I can sometimes get away with brushing the stray leaf at the drain and watch iot get sucked away. I don't need to break out the vacuum and hose. Also, it improves circulation in the deep end, which minimizes that temperature stratification you sometimes get wherein you dip your toe in the pool and it feels so nice, and then you jump in and discover it's four or five degrees colder down a few feet.

ah ok, my deep end is 10 feet. I have never put the diverter in but my main drain seems to be sucking all the time bc if there are leavesin the pool, they end up stuck to it. It doesnt look like the holes are big enough to actually suck it in. I only have one skimmer btw

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.