Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: skimmer diverter

1. Back To Top    #1

skimmer diverter

I didnt even know what this thing was until i saw it identified in another thread. Why would i want to used it? It sounds like it reduces suction on the skimmer which puts more on the main drain but why would i want to do that?
    IG (in ground)
    vinyl
    sand filter
    SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: skimmer diverter

is this a dumb question or something? I tried searching.....
    IG (in ground)
    vinyl
    sand filter
    SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

It is exactly like you said, it allows you to draw some water from the floor which may slightly improve circulation.

It is also a safety feature where if the water drops below the skimmer the float will drop and water will be pulled from the floor instead of running the pump dry and possibly damaging it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I believe some are also used when there are 2 or more skimmers and they are plumbed together, as the first skimmer would have greater suction without a little extra resistance to even things out.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

5. Back To Top    #5

I like having the diverter because without it, the main drain doesn't do anything.

With it, I can sometimes get away with brushing the stray leaf at the drain and watch iot get sucked away. I don't need to break out the vacuum and hose. Also, it improves circulation in the deep end, which minimizes that temperature stratification you sometimes get wherein you dip your toe in the pool and it feels so nice, and then you jump in and discover it's four or five degrees colder down a few feet.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

ah ok, my deep end is 10 feet. I have never put the diverter in but my main drain seems to be sucking all the time bc if there are leavesin the pool, they end up stuck to it. It doesnt look like the holes are big enough to actually suck it in. I only have one skimmer btw
    IG (in ground)
    vinyl
    sand filter
    SWG