Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Weather forecast just changed. Uh Oh!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Weather forecast just changed. Uh Oh!!!

They were calling for a low of 28 for a couple hours overnight a few days ago. Other than that no where near freezing in the long range forecast. It just changed. We have a freeze warning overnight. Low of 22 now. I sure hope that pump keeps pumping. Maybe I opened a few days too early. We actually have flurries coming down now.
    27' Round X 54" Aqua Leader Sentinelle AGP, Vinyl J hook liner. 18,500 gal.
    Waterway 19" oval sand filter, US Motors EZBN25 1.0 hp 1.5 SPL Pump, BBB (Empty Aqua Smarte System connected, may use during vacation), Barracuda Zodiac 1500,
    Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Weather forecast just changed. Uh Oh!!!

I know how you feel... I was working on the pool in only a pair of shorts on Saturday because it was too hot (80F) - I even got sunburned!

Last night it started snowing and this morning we had probably nearly an inch of snow! :-/

I just put the pump on constant but I'm not too concerned about it.

3. Back To Top    #3

Look at the good side....you'll lose less chlorine when it's cold. Up by us (Steubenville) they're calling for temps in the 50's Wednesday. You'll be fine.

4. Back To Top    #4

Everything should be fine, not sure you specifics but I would suspect 22 is the low at the worst, I would suspect it will drift down overnight and be below freezing for a few hours then be back up. I don't think it would be enough to freeze anything solid especially if your water is already warm.

Back in early March I would go out and check my skimmer and it would have some ice skimming on the water about the thickness of a piece of paper.

If your setup is at all like mine, 99% of the plumbing is well underground. In my particular case, the only real area of concern is my deck jets but even then 99% of those pipes are underground. PVC must have some insulating factor.

Well, I guess if I would read your signature I would know your specifics!
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Those conditions are not enough to worry about......even if the pump stopped.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Curious duraleigh, are you saying a few hours at 22 would not freeze water in the pipes even if it was not moving?
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

7. Back To Top    #7

Let me put it this way:

I didn't bother to turn on my pumps until this morning around 5:30. No problem in starting them, at a temp of 28. It had been below freezing since around 11:30 last night.

It takes closer to a full day of below freezing temps to freeze the volume of water in 1-1/2" pipes even when fully exposed.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

In my experience it would take quite a few days of cold(perhaps a week or longer) before you would need to be real concerned.
    of course that is in VA....
    I think you will be ok

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Curious duraleigh, are you saying a few hours at 22 would not freeze water in the pipes even if it was not moving?
    Yes...not cold enough long enough.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

My water was 55 degrees last night. I think it will be fine for a day.