Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best advice for tiny bits

1. Back To Top    #1

Best advice for tiny bits

hey guys, my pool looks pretty good right now at a glance. But if you really inspect the water, there are tiny bits of this and that floating around. I"m talking about like 'specks' of stuff. I'm guessing its pieces of leaves but they don't seem to be filtering out.

is there a trick to get the tiny stuff?

will more things filter if I pin the door to the strainer down maybe?
    IG (in ground)
    vinyl
    sand filter
    SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best advice for tiny bits

Is this on the surface or mixed in with the water?

If it's on the surface, the last thing you want is to hold the weir down. The weir accelerates the movement of surface water into the skimmer. If your water level in the pool is too high, you can experience reduced skimming action too.

Often the solution to surface debris is to work with your returns to get them to guide things that are floating so they run along the pool wall where the skimmer is. Aim them close to the surface so they make a small ripple and direct them to move things around the pool so the skimmer has an opportunity to grab stuff that is floating.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

You will never be able to get 100% of everything out of the water, but you can add some DE filter media to your sand filter to help catch the finer debris. DE comes in 20-25lb boxes so if you have a friend with a DE filter you may want to borrow some first and see if you like the results.

You add about a cup at a time of DE through the skimmer until you see a 1 point rise in pressure, and run the filter as normal. After back washing you will need to add DE again.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

the debris is mixed in. I use my leaf blower to direct current to the skimmer for top stuff. works pretty well

- - - Updated - - -

where can I buy DE?
    IG (in ground)
    vinyl
    sand filter
    SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Pool stores, home and garden centers, just about anywhere that sells pool supplies. Just make sure it is pool grade and not insecticide grade DE.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

How many hours a day are you running the pump?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

I found a smaller 10 pound box of HTH brand DE online at Ace Hardware for $14, shipped free to my local Ace store for pickup. Might be worth checking out?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

i ran the pump about 6 hours a day all winter. the last 3 days i have been running it non-stop. (except to switch settings and stuff)
    IG (in ground)
    vinyl
    sand filter
    SWG

9. Back To Top    #9

If you see these things at night, with the pool light on, we call them "floaters." You'll never ever get rid of them all.

If it's in daylight, adding DE to the filter should help clear them.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!