No-See-Ums screen effect on water temp

Apr 15, 2014
Panama City, FL
I will soon have a screen enclosure built for my inground pool. I live in the panhandle of Florida in Panama City. I have to decide what type of screen to use and I am considering the Phifer No-See-Ums 20x20 mesh for better insect protection. I've heard that screen enclosures block quite a bit of the sunlight and therefore cause the water temps to be cooler. If this is true I would think the tighter meshed No-See-Ums screen would cause even cooler temperatures (as opposed to the typical 18x14 mesh screen). I'm looking for input from owners that have the No-See-Ums screen or even the 18x14 screen. If anyone has experience with these types of enclosures I would appreciate any input in regards to how much they effect pool water temperature.

I've had my pool cage for 9 months they are not completely 'sealed'. There are small gaps on the bottom between the aluminum rail and the pavers and the drain in the patio is a express lane for bugs to enter the caged area. Drain I'm talking about is on the right part of this picture. Runs to the other side.
IMG-20130727-00201.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.