Opened my pool in CT today. All is good

blakeusa

In The Industry
Jul 8, 2010
Ashford, CT
I opened my pool today and all went good- no leaks, no air and moderate leaf junk.

Water is 52%, but it was frozen just a couple of weeks ago. I actually fell in for the first time testing how thick the ice was - a first for me.

I try to open early (normally April 1st) as we start using the hot tub and will heat for a weekend if it warms up.

Will be opening a few more pools this week and next, so now we just need some warm weather.

Believe it or not I have not covered my pool the past couple of years as I like to keep an eye on the water or ice level - in fact a month or so ago it warned for a couple of days and I drained out another 6 inches of water.

Anyway we do have some weather left, but I do have freeze protection and a back up generator so I not worried --- but I do think it takes a pretty hard freeze > 20 for a day or two to break a pipe, but that's just my experience.

Shocking and running pump now and just need to get cleaned up and the water balanced.

Anyway hope some more people up north and Canada start opening soon. I think its about time.... :D

blakeusa said:
Water is 52%...
If you meant to say that the water temperature is 52°F, then you are opening right on schedule :goodjob:. Even if you get hit with an overnight freeze once or twice before it's all said & done, I wouldn't worry about any freeze damage at this point. As you stated, it would take a couple of days of air temps around 20°F to get the water to freeze hard enough to risk pipe damage, especially with water temps in the 50's. Even in CT, I think overnight lows in the low 20's are behind you for the season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.