Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need Advice: New Pump and Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Need Advice: New Pump and Filter

Looking for some advice. I have an above ground oval 21 x 41 with a deep end. The pool came with the Hayward Xstream 150 Sq. Ft. Cartridge System with 1.5 HP Matrix Pump. Everything was working fine for the last 4 years up until the middle of last summer. For some reason the "easy lock ring" that seals the filter compartment started sticking to the point where I could not get it closed. It screws about 3/4 of the way it is supposed to, but won't complete the last half turn needed to lock in place. If I don't have a filter inside, it will close, but with the filter, no dice. I replaced the O-ring because it was loose, but that didn't solve the problem. I bought a new filter, tried silicone lubricant, but it still wont close all the way.

Another annoying thing with this unit, probably because of the heat in Las Vegas, but the fiberglass tank has tons of tiny little splinters that dig deep into your skin if you brush against it. I tried covering the top half in duck tape, but I still end up with nasty rashes whenever I have to mess with it - which became much worse now that it takes so much force to open and close it.

So - I am at the point where I know I need a new unit. Since this is going to be at least a few hundred bucks, I am wondering if I should replace it with the same Hayward product, or if there is something out there that would be a much better investment. Anyone out there with a pool close to or as big as mine that has a pump/filter product they absolutely love?
    Mighty Sun/Asahi Midland Bracelss Oval 21 ' x 41' ft with a 6.5 ft deep end! 30,000 gallons of FUN
    Hayward Xstream Cartridge Filter with 150 1.5HP pump
    Pentair Aqualuminator
    Pentair Great White Cleaner/Pool Rover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need Advice: New Pump and Filter

That is a big pool and a 150 sqft cartridge filter is kind of ridiculously small. We would recommend a cartridge filter up around 440 sqft.

For the pump, if you are going to upgrade you should look at 2-speed pumps like the Powerflo Matrix ... many members have these. Or you may be able to just put a new 2-speed motor on your existing pump.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    That is a big pool and a 150 sqft cartridge filter is kind of ridiculously small. We would recommend a cartridge filter up around 440 sqft.

For the pump, if you are going to upgrade you should look at 2-speed pumps like the Powerflo Matrix ... many members have these. Or you may be able to just put a new 2-speed motor on your existing pump.
    Do you have any suggestions on brand/model of filter? I am having a hard time finding a filter bigger than 150 sq ft for an AGP - should I be shopping for in ground filters? I do have to open up and rinse off the current filter very regularly to keep the pool clear, so it makes sense that maybe I need something bigger, just not sure what I am looking for.
    Mighty Sun/Asahi Midland Bracelss Oval 21 ' x 41' ft with a 6.5 ft deep end! 30,000 gallons of FUN
    Pentair Aqualuminator

4. Back To Top    #4

You will have to look at in ground filters ... there is no real difference besides size. Seems like manufactures do not consider the AG pools as large as what you have which is much bigger than most IG pools.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Are the connectors different? I only have 1 return and skimmer and 1.5 inch piping.
    Pentair Aqualuminator

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't think so. The connection on the filter will just be open-ended PVC fittings (not sure if slip or threaded). Then use whatever adapters you need.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

mpatrick14,

How often did you clean your current filter?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    mpatrick14,

How often did you clean your current filter?
    At least once a week under normal conditions, but at the beginning of the season when I did not cover it all winter and it started growing for a minute, probably 3-4 times a week until the water is clear.
    Pentair Aqualuminator

9. Back To Top    #9

At least once a week under normal conditions
    How much pressure rise did you have during the week? That seems like a lot of cleaning even with that size filter and pool.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater