Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 24" AGP - lost all water - damaged liner

1. Back To Top    #1

24" AGP - lost all water - damaged liner

So it has stopped snowing and I finally get to check out my 24' AGP. As usual, most of the water is gone, but this time, it's completely gone, and the liner got torn in 1 spot (probably caused by ice).

It's a straight line, so I'm wondering if there is any product I can use which would weld this cut, or even tape it, to keep the patch in place. Never hard to deal with anything like this before, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

The store mentioned the liner would cost $200-$300 to replace the lainer, and another $700 for labor if I can't do it myself. How difficult are these to install?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 24" AGP - lost all water - damaged liner

There is no possible way to salvage that liner. The tear is simply too big. The weight of the water would completely destroy the patch and it would be a safety hazard as that is a lot of water weight and it could easily rupture the integrity of the wall. You will have to replace it. Even if you could patch it and it hold the liner will not stretch again once you fill it. That price is standard for a new liner make sure to go as thick as you can. If it's along the seam and you winterized properly, the warranty should cover it depending on how long you have had it. Labor wise all types of liners are pretty easy to install.
    30' by 54 Above Ground Pool 22000 Gallons
    1.5HP 2-Speed Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump
    24' 300lb Hayward Sand Filter
    TF100 Test Kit
    Youngest Pool Enthusiast(Hopefully)

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Sadly that liner is done It will be cheaper in the long run to replace the liner, than bothering with a quick fix that will ultimately fail and probably cost more money.....
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

4. Back To Top    #4

Agreed.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

No matter what the pool store folks say, liners are not all that difficult to replace. Just have some patience with it. There are quite a few YouTubes about liner replacement. Get yourself a couple friends and save yourself the pool store labor and go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by looper View Post
    So it has stopped snowing and I finally get to check out my 24' AGP. As usual, most of the water is gone, but this time, it's completely gone, and the liner got torn in 1 spot (probably caused by ice).

It's a straight line, so I'm wondering if there is any product I can use which would weld this cut, or even tape it, to keep the patch in place. Never hard to deal with anything like this before, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

The store mentioned the liner would cost $200-$300 to replace the lainer, and another $700 for labor if I can't do it myself. How difficult are these to install?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks guys. I didn't think I could recover the liner, but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss some obvious fix. Can the liner be repurposed for any other project-around-the-house, or should I just trash it? It does look like the damage happened at the seem (will confirm later), and I did follow proper winterizing instructions.

As for installing the liner myself, do I need any special tools, or worry about the sand/foundation (pool is 5 years old)? The pool store also mentioned that when the liner is damaged, the tracks/rails (something like that) need to be replaced as well. Any idea what they are talking about, and is there any truth to it? The pool store has been good to me, but I would definitely like to do it myself if possible. I guess I'll get the liner from them, any suggestions as to what thickness I should be looking for? It's a liner with a special bead, so I guess that might limit my options.

I'll definitely check out the videos (plus I have some construction pics which might offer some tips).

7. Back To Top    #7

It makes a good weed barrier.

8. Back To Top    #8

You can find liners on line at excellent prices with super fast delivery. Google vinyl pool liner.
    Gerry
    27' x 54" AG Salt Water Pool Installed 2014, Hayward 23" Sand Filter, 1 HP 2-Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump, AQ-TROL SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

What about the pool liner 'lock', do I need to replace that? The pool store suggested this, and found this notice on the manufacturer's website of the liner:
    "If you have to change your above ground pool liner you probably need to change locks canvases too. See our suggested products."
    I currently have the Unibead liner, but not sure if I have 26 or 40 (guessing this refers to the mil value?).

10. Back To Top    #10

Alright, I took a few more, and have a few more questions before tackling this myself. According to the pool store, I would have to send a piece of the liner, which contains the hole, to the manufacturer (Aqua Leader), who would refund 50% of the MSRP if approved.

If you ever dealt with liner warranties, your tips/advice would be appreciated!

It looks like I have a 25 gauge liner now, but some places also sell 30 gauge, is this something I can switch to without having to upgrade the track? Is it worth upgrading to 30 gauge?

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

A lot of the pool mods will tell you that a 25mil liner is great.... I don't think I've seen anyone on here with a 30 mil liner, but someone might be along soon with information for you...
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

12. Back To Top    #12

That looks kinda like a j hook liner.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    It makes a good weed barrier.
    X's 2 on the weed barrier. works great for that.

14. Back To Top    #14

I would take the time to submit whatever warranty claim they want. If you get 50% back, that would be great. If you do not, you are still going to have to buy a liner. You won't know unless you try. Watch You Tube and then, replace that liner yourself. They are not hard, just a little time consuming to get them even and all the air out Good luck! I think most everyone hated this winter for one reason or another. Here's to hoping for a hot, enjoyable summer!
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by f3justusc View Post
    I would take the time to submit whatever warranty claim they want. If you get 50% back, that would be great. If you do not, you are still going to have to buy a liner. You won't know unless you try. Watch You Tube and then, replace that liner yourself. They are not hard, just a little time consuming to get them even and all the air out Good luck! I think most everyone hated this winter for one reason or another. Here's to hoping for a hot, enjoyable summer!
    Agreed! Liners are not hard to install. A few friends and a water hose... So much fun!

So glad winter is over!

16. Back To Top    #16

Alright so it looks like I need to figure out what type of liner I need, and I'm good to go! What do you guys think?

17. Back To Top    #17

Well, it looks like a JHook liner but you won't go wrong with an overlap.