Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt reading - how to calibrate?

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt reading - how to calibrate?

Hi all. I recently replaced my main PCB in my Goldline Aqua Logic PS-4 system and re-entered all of the programming. I replaced the board because I was getting the No Cell Power / No Cell Power 2 errors with the typical burnt solder joint (that I was unable to repair). The cell is a Hayward T-CELL-15. Prior to this cell power error and action everything was working fine.

Since I have done that, my cell is reading salt levels incorrectly. When I replaced the board it came up with 1900 PPM of salt. I thought it would be low as my board was down for a while, so I grabbed a water sample and headed to the pool store to buy salt. Problem is the guy said my salt level was over 5000. In disbelief I took another sample to a different pool store and they got the same reading. I was told I need to re-calibrate my cell. No worries - except that none of the instructions for my system tell me how to do that.

It is a Goldline AguaLogic PS-4 by Hayward. Links to operation and installation instructions below:
    https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/man...stallation.pdf
    https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/man...tionManual.pdf

Neither manual mentions cell calibration and Hayward is no help since my system is out of warranty. I have cleaned the cell, and taken the cell to the pool store for the free test and it passed. I have searched for this and can't find it anywhere. There is one forum post that mentions going to instant salt and pressing the + button to clear the cell memory. It does that, but this is not calibrating the cell, it is only clearing the past readings. Has anyone found a solution for this? Could there be something in the pool water causing incorrect readings (either on my end or at the pool store)?

Thanks,
    -Don
    10K gallon built in 2008, in ground gunite, with attached spa, waterfall feature and cool deck.
    Two Hayward 1 HP pump motors, cartridge filter, Aqua Logic PS-4 automation system with saltwater chlorine generator.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt reading - how to calibrate?

Do you have the correct cell size selected after installing the new board? That can affect the salt reading. There is not way to calibrate the salt reading.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Jason - thanks for the response. In the configuration menu there are two options - t-cell-5 and t-cell-15. T-cell-15 is selected.

Thanks for verifying there is no way to calibrate the cell on this system - I was told by several people that you could and I was pulling my hair out! I guess I will pick up a new cell and see if it makes a difference. The cell on my system is currently about 6 years old (give or take).
    10K gallon built in 2008, in ground gunite, with attached spa, waterfall feature and cool deck.
    Two Hayward 1 HP pump motors, cartridge filter, Aqua Logic PS-4 automation system with saltwater chlorine generator.

4. Back To Top    #4

There is a way to temporarily override the average salt level with the instant salt level, but if the instant is not right, then there is nothing you can do.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!