Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner in AZ - TFP Beginner

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Owner in AZ - TFP Beginner

Hello!

New pool owner here in AZ. First heard about TFP from Reddit. I can already tell this place will my #1 info source. Currently using the Poolmaster 22260 basic test kit to keep chorine & PH in check. I have a rainbow chlorinator but it sounds like I will be ditching the tabs soon. Will be ordering a T-100 test kit & Speed stirrer as soon as my $10 coupon arrives from the Lifetime donation. Until then, I'll be in pool school
    15K Gal w/ Raised Spa (spillway), PebbleSheen, PV3, Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Pentair 520 Cartridge Filter, Pentair MaterTemp 400K Heater, EZ Touch, MDX Drain, Waterway jets (spa), 3 Deck Jets - Phoenix, AZ

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New Pool Owner in AZ - TFP Beginner

Welcome to the forum.

Your Lifetime donation goes strictly for the maintenance and upgrade of this forum. There is no advertising here and you have helped keep it that way. Thanks for your contribution.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

pfft, there is CLEARLY an add for trouble free pools just under the top banner.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

4. Back To Top    #4

T-100 is on order!

I had one question regarding my filter pump. I have a pentair variable speed pump that was setup to run at low rpm all day. It then runs at high rpm in the evening/off peak for cleaning. When I add acid, I switch it to high rpm manually and pour the acid in front of a return. I run the high rpm for a minimum of 1 hour. My question is for bleach, do I need to switch to high rpm as well? and for how long after?
    15K Gal w/ Raised Spa (spillway), PebbleSheen, PV3, Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Pentair 520 Cartridge Filter, Pentair MaterTemp 400K Heater, EZ Touch, MDX Drain, Waterway jets (spa), 3 Deck Jets - Phoenix, AZ

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

You would probably be safe to run about 15-20 minutes for each one but that would be marginally. If it were my pool, I'd do them 30 min each.
    Dave S.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the info. I decided to add chemicals in the evening when the pump is already running at high-rpm, that way I don't have to remember to turn it down.

Got my T-100 last night! Here's are my results from this morning (love using the speedstir btw):
    FC - 2.5
    CC - 0
    pH - 7.6
    TA - 120
    CH - 275
    CYA - 60-70? (still getting the hang of this test)

From what I gather, my CYA is higher than i'd like it to be. According to the pool calculator, I should be targeting a FC of 5 due to my higher CYA level?

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Yes, your CYA is a bit high and you should up your FC to about 5. Because of your climate, 60-70 CYA might work out OK for you so I wouldn't be in a hurry to lower it down. I think I would leave it there and just compensate with the increased FC. It may even save you some chlorine in the long run.
    Dave S.

8. Back To Top    #8

Sounds good. Our pool was just filled about a month ago so I wasn't really looking forward to replacing water. The pool company added liquid stabilizer then (before I knew about TFP). I'll ditch the trichlor, raise the FC to 5 and see how it goes. Anything else I should be aware of with a new pool build (pebbletec was completed about 1 month ago)? Seems like i've been adding acid (~12oz) every few days to keep PH in range. Thanks!