Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Muriatic Acid Does temperature affect it?

1. Back To Top    #1

Muriatic Acid Does temperature affect it?

On Saturday my TA was 230 and my PH was 7.5. I decided to go ahead and put in 32 oz of muriatic acid this morning to start the process of bringing the TA down a little. I also turned the return eyeball up to help aerate the water to keep the PH up.

Last year when I watched a man pour 32 oz in, it was like a steam or smoke rising from the water as it poured. When I put it in this morning, I didn't see anything like that. Then a couple hours later when I tested the TA.....it hadn't changed any.

Does the colder temperature affect the acid as far as the reaction when it hits the water?

Wouldn't I have expected a little change in TA?

I used 28.3% - 18 muriatic acid.
    27' Round X 54" Aqua Leader Sentinelle AGP, Vinyl J hook liner. 18,500 gal.
    Waterway 19" oval sand filter, US Motors EZBN25 1.0 hp 1.5 SPL Pump, BBB (Empty Aqua Smarte System connected, may use during vacation), Barracuda Zodiac 1500,
    Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Muriatic Acid Does temperature affect it?

When you tested the TA, did you also test the pH? If you did, was there any change to that?
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

You didn't add enough acid to make any significant difference.

The correct way to lower TA can be found in an article in Pool School.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

32 fluid ounces of Muriatic Acid (your 28.3% Hydrochloric Acid) in 18,500 gallons would only lower the TA by 6 ppm so might not be measurable. As Dave noted, you need to follow the Pool School article on how to Lower Total Alkalinity.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Most of what I read said to lower it slowly. I guess maybe I was trying to slowly. I'll check the PH again in the morning to see how it is.
    27' Round X 54" Aqua Leader Sentinelle AGP, Vinyl J hook liner. 18,500 gal.
    Waterway 19" oval sand filter, US Motors EZBN25 1.0 hp 1.5 SPL Pump, BBB (Empty Aqua Smarte System connected, may use during vacation), Barracuda Zodiac 1500,
    Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 Test Kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by brmommy View Post
    Last year when I watched a man pour 32 oz in, it was like a steam or smoke rising from the water as it poured.
    That effect is highly dependant on the weather conditions and should not be a basis for assessing the strength of the acid.