Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dolphin M5 vs Dolphin Oasis Z5

1. Back To Top    #1

Dolphin M5 vs Dolphin Oasis Z5

Hi, I'm looking to buy a robot cleaner this year and looking the Dolphin brand. I looked online and they said the M5 and Z5 are exactly same model. The only different is the M5 is for retail store and Z5 is for online. Could anyone let me know is this true?

Also any suggested online store for dolphin cleaner?
    - NY Albany ~27000 water
    - In ground Vinyl 18' X 40' X 8' Deep Curved Roman End
    - Pentiar TA 60 Sand Filter
    - Pentair WhisperFlo 1HP Energy Efficient Full-Rated 2-Speed
    - 250K BTU Nat/Elec. Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dolphin M5 vs Dolphin Oasis Z5

I don't know about that specific model, but Dolphin does traditionally make mail order models that are almost identical to their retail models. Often they will have minor differences in color scheme, cord length or run time. They even love to play these games on their retail models. I currently have a Dolphin Diagnostic Pro, which was the "professional" version of the Diagnostic with 1/3 longer warranty, and a duller gray and white color scheme when you look at the fine print details though, you find they changed the cleaning cycle from 3 hours down to 2 hours. (I bought mine cheap as an open box new deal on ebay)
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

I just purchased a Z5 from http://epicpoolsupply.com . The transaction was smooth. It is my understanding as well that the Z5 is pretty much the same as the M5. Their whole naming scheme is very annoying. The manual that came with the "Dolphin Oasis Z5" calls the model the "Dolphin Explorer Classic 9 / Top 9". It's really hard to tell what's what with the Dolphins.
    34K gal IG, 37'x40' lagoon, vinyl, Pentair IntelliFlo VS Pump, 500# Hayward sand filter, Jandy SWG, Raypac heat pump, 4 deck jets, Hayward Super Pump + deck fountain, Dolphin Oasis Z5

4. Back To Top    #4

I too recently purchased the Dolphin Oasis Z5 from Epic Pool. After countless hours of research, I knew I wanted a Dolphin and had narrowed it down to either the M4 or M5. My lingering concern was warranty coverage, and was relieved to see that Maytronics provides full warranty for Oasis Z5 when purchased online. After a week of heavy use, this model has met my expectations, picking up even the finest debris. I wasn't sure about wall-climbing ability (a frequent point of discussion in these pool cleaner threads) but it has performed flawlessly, climbing up to the tile line from the start. One tip - be sure to read the owner's manual, which emphasizes setting the handle/bar in a diagonal manner for optimum performance.
    20K gal, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 340 sqft Jandy CV-340 cartridge filter 127 g/m, 1HP Jandy two speed pump, AquaComfort heat pump 136K BTU, Hayward CL-220 inline chlorinator, Dolphin Oasis Z5, built Oct 2013

5. Back To Top    #5

In the pictures for the Z5, I do not see the middle brush that my M5 has? I just went and examined listings for both units and although they have some similarities (remote, caddy, filter cartridges) they are definitely different animals. The M5 has a center brush in addition to the other two. The Z5 does not.....
    Mesa, AZ Spillover spa and inground pool, 12,500 G, pebble finish, Hayward C5030 (525sf) Cartridge Filter, Hayward EcoStar VS Pump, Installed July 2013, Hayward SWG T-Cell-15, Trident UV (I know, I know....was installed before I found this site!) Rock grotto waterfall, LED ColorLogic lighting, 110 BTU Heat Pro Electric Heat Pump, Maytronics Dolphin Supreme M5 cleaner, TF-100 test kit with Speed Stir.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm on the same fence. Dolphin's whole lineup is friggin annoying. The M5 also has the 'premium' remote versus the 'standard' that the Z5 has. I have an email out to Maytronics about their no warranty if purchased online tactics. I'm ready to pull the trigger so long as I get something in writing that they'll cover the Z5 if purchased online, although I prefer the 3rd brush of the M5 but can't find it anywhere.

And why isn't the Z5 listed on the Maytronics website!?!? They can't even keep up with their own model line-up! It's ridiculous!

7. Back To Top    #7

I also bought the Z5 from Epic but before I did, I sent an email to Maytronics and they replied stating they would honor the warranty.
    Only issue I could see in their response was that I would have to ship it to a repair center.
    21,000 gallon SWG free form pool, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 2HP Whisperflo pump, Pentair 400K btu heater, 400 gallon spa, Circupool si45+, Dolphin Oasis Z5 cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by dnelson60 View Post
    I also bought the Z5 from Epic but before I did, I sent an email to Maytronics and they replied stating they would honor the warranty.
    Only issue I could see in their response was that I would have to ship it to a repair center.
    Thanks. I spoke with them on the phone today and they also stated the same thing. Oasis is covered when purchased online so that's what I did, purchased from Epic. Can't wait to get it.

9. Back To Top    #9

I love mine so far. Since I don't have a lot of leaves right now, I only have to run it approx. 3 time a week. The real test will be in the fall.
    Good luck and let us know how you like it.
    21,000 gallon SWG free form pool, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 2HP Whisperflo pump, Pentair 400K btu heater, 400 gallon spa, Circupool si45+, Dolphin Oasis Z5 cleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

Will do. UPS tried to deliver it on Friday but I wasn't home to sign for it. Should have it tomorrow. I'm stoked.

11. Back To Top    #11

Received it yesterday and I'm in love. Absolutely amazing. After my old cleaner ran for nine hours, the Z5 still picked up quite a bit. The pool and spa are beautiful!

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Any updates on Z5 ownership?

I'm curious what difference the M5's center brush makes.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy View Post

Still love mine. Can't compare to the M5 as I've never owned one.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by TWong1200 View Post
    Still love mine. Can't compare to the M5 as I've never owned one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    awesome. Thanks for the update. I know that probably zero people have experience with both.

My only problem in the pool is dirt. When I saw your image of the crud trapped by the Z5 that "the pool cleaner" missed I was blown away. (I had planned to get that one until I saw that).
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

15. Back To Top    #15

Still really like mine as well. Only need to run it 3-4 times per week depending on how much wind we have. Didn't think I'd care for the remote
    but it is nice to use to "drive" the robot to small sections that may have been missed.

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by dnelson60 View Post
    Still really like mine as well. Only need to run it 3-4 times per week depending on how much wind we have. Didn't think I'd care for the remote
    but it is nice to use to "drive" the robot to small sections that may have been missed.
    Thank you. I'm thinking I'll give it a try.

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

I took a leap of faith and bought the Z5. I'll post up my thoughts once it arrives.

FWIW, to anyone else who is considering purchasing. I suggest you use the chat function. They gave me 100.00 off by doing that. (pd $1299.99)

18. Back To Top    #18

I took a leap of faith and bought the Z5. I'll post up my thoughts once it arrives.

FWIW, to anyone else who is considering purchasing. I suggest you use the chat function. They gave me 100.00 off by doing that. (pd $1299.99)
    Where'd you purchase from? I paid $1199 shipped from Epic. No chat function used.

*edit* I just checked Epic's site and it looks like they've raised the price! Wow! I purchased my unit on May 7th for $1199. Their site now shows it for $1399. I'm lucky I purchased early.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by TWong1200 View Post
    Where'd you purchase from? I paid $1199 shipped from Epic. No chat function used.

*edit* I just checked Epic's site and it looks like they've raised the price! Wow! I purchased my unit on May 7th for $1199. Their site now shows it for $1399. I'm lucky I purchased early.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    You and I got one in the nick of time. I got the same price you did. I went on Epic yesterday, saw the current price and smiled.

As for the Z5, so far, so excellent. Love it. Pool is so much cleaner now as opposed to my old pressure-side cleaner. I don't even have to run it every day now. Rinsing the cartridge filters is a breeze.

You always assume your pool is clean enough....until you REALLY see it clean. While I'd like the flexibility of the various modes the premium remote offers with the M5, the standard remote is probably good enough.

Money well spent IMHO.

20. Back To Top    #20

You did whaaa???

You're gonna love it man!!

I just went to Epic a while ago, and CANNOT believe I didn't order a second set of filters for my M5.

They are now 99.00 instead of 59.99 What the? How did that happen?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast