2" flex pipe between equipment?

Hey guys...getting ready for my build in less than a month...I have all my equipment and supplies ready to go. I'm using 2" flex from my skimmer and drains and to both returns. My question is, is there any reason not to use the left over 2" flex hose to run between my pump, filter, heat pump and SWG? It seems to me that it would give me more flexibility with the angles, therefore perhaps even less friction loss... I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Opinions vary. Many people have no problem with flex PVC, especially at the equipment pad, but some people have had problems in the past and avoid it completely.

In most cases rigid PVC gives you slightly better efficiency, because the inside is smooth, but short runs of flex that need to go through complex angles are sometimes more efficient than the equivalent rigid fittings.

Opinions vary. Many people have no problem with flex PVC, especially at the equipment pad, but some people have had problems in the past and avoid it completely.

In most cases rigid PVC gives you slightly better efficiency, because the inside is smooth, but short runs of flex that need to go through complex angles are sometimes more efficient than the equivalent rigid fittings.

Thanks...makes perfect sense both ways...I'll have to put some more thought into it...

I use flexible couplings and hoses to/from my filter pump. The pump was originally pipe with rigid PVC. After about and year or two, I started having issue with the PVC pipe and PVC fitting cracking due to the vibration.

If you are pretty good at working with PVC, I think rigid gives you a better, more permanent install.

Flex is quicker, easier but can spring some leaks over time more easily than rigid it seems.

The difference in efficiency is irrelevant.

I personally use rigid for everything, but have noticed it seems people in more northern locations seem to do better with flex and people in more southern locations do better with rigid. My past experience with flex is that after a few years it tends to crack and leak, but I am in a much warmer climate which may effect it.

Ike

Great discussion...and very good points. I appreciate the feedback. I like the idea of rigid for a cleaner, permanent install...but I was wondering how the vibration would affect it. My equipment will all be mounted on a concrete slab, so I'm assuming minimal vibration. I am in a norther climate with freezing temps all winter but, of course, everything will be drained in the winter, so I should be safe that way... anymore thoughts, feel free to post!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.