Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2" flex pipe between equipment?

1. Back To Top    #1

2" flex pipe between equipment?

Hey guys...getting ready for my build in less than a month...I have all my equipment and supplies ready to go. I'm using 2" flex from my skimmer and drains and to both returns. My question is, is there any reason not to use the left over 2" flex hose to run between my pump, filter, heat pump and SWG? It seems to me that it would give me more flexibility with the angles, therefore perhaps even less friction loss... I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.
    18' x 36' IG Vinyl Kidney Shape, 20K Gallon, Hayward ProLogic PLP4 Control with T-15 SWG, ColorLogic 4.0 LED Light, Hayward TriStar 1 HP Full Rated Pump, Hayward Swimclear 325 SQ FT Cartridge Filter, Raypak 117000 BTU Heat Pump, TF100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2" flex pipe between equipment?

Opinions vary. Many people have no problem with flex PVC, especially at the equipment pad, but some people have had problems in the past and avoid it completely.

In most cases rigid PVC gives you slightly better efficiency, because the inside is smooth, but short runs of flex that need to go through complex angles are sometimes more efficient than the equivalent rigid fittings.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Opinions vary. Many people have no problem with flex PVC, especially at the equipment pad, but some people have had problems in the past and avoid it completely.

In most cases rigid PVC gives you slightly better efficiency, because the inside is smooth, but short runs of flex that need to go through complex angles are sometimes more efficient than the equivalent rigid fittings.
    Thanks...makes perfect sense both ways...I'll have to put some more thought into it...
    18' x 36' IG Vinyl Kidney Shape, 20K Gallon, Hayward ProLogic PLP4 Control with T-15 SWG, ColorLogic 4.0 LED Light, Hayward TriStar 1 HP Full Rated Pump, Hayward Swimclear 325 SQ FT Cartridge Filter, Raypak 117000 BTU Heat Pump, TF100 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

I use flexible couplings and hoses to/from my filter pump. The pump was originally pipe with rigid PVC. After about and year or two, I started having issue with the PVC pipe and PVC fitting cracking due to the vibration.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

If you are pretty good at working with PVC, I think rigid gives you a better, more permanent install.

Flex is quicker, easier but can spring some leaks over time more easily than rigid it seems.

The difference in efficiency is irrelevant.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I personally use rigid for everything, but have noticed it seems people in more northern locations seem to do better with flex and people in more southern locations do better with rigid. My past experience with flex is that after a few years it tends to crack and leak, but I am in a much warmer climate which may effect it.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Great discussion...and very good points. I appreciate the feedback. I like the idea of rigid for a cleaner, permanent install...but I was wondering how the vibration would affect it. My equipment will all be mounted on a concrete slab, so I'm assuming minimal vibration. I am in a norther climate with freezing temps all winter but, of course, everything will be drained in the winter, so I should be safe that way... anymore thoughts, feel free to post!