First test results with Taylor K-2006

Apr 30, 2013
Orange, Texas
We had a 12,500 gallon fiberglass pool installed last summer. Our pool was always iffy...maybe cloudy, maybe green, etc. we did everything the pool store told us to! I started reading this forum and convinced my husband to do it the pool school way this year. So...here we are! I just completed my first set of testing. Here are the results:

Free chlorine. 12.4
Combined chlorine 1.6
Ph 7.4
TA 60
Calcium hardness 50
CYA 30

Yes, we are a green swamp. I did not understand how to do the acid demand or base demand test.

Help me...help me! Where do we start?

Christy

12,500 gallon fiberglass pool

Your levels are looking good.

The keep thing with a green swamp is to make sure you get all debris (if any) off the bottom of the pool, and maintain SLAM level at least twice a day, preferably more often. Run the pump 24x7 and backlash/clean the filter any time the pressure goes up 25% over the starting pressure.

Acid and base demand are specialized tests, used to estimate how much chemical you need when adjusting PH. You have no need to adjust PH, so no reason to use either of those tests.

Welcome neighbor. .. pool math will be your new friend. Put your gal in the top. Scroll down and change the pool type method of chlorine and goals. Then the left boxes is your test. The right is target. Then it will tell you just what to add. Don't worry about the demand test, with poolmath they are not needed. Also use the 10ml sample.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Also I see that your green. First thing is order a refill for the fas dpd test. The 2006 does not really have enough to do the amount of chlorine test to clear a green pool. It's a good kit but just smaller bottles. The fas dpd XL is like 15.00 from tftestkits. You will not find it locally.

Looking at your numbers again, your ph looks a little funny. It shows fine at 7.4 but with fc above 10, they tend to test a little high. If your fc drops below 10 retest ph and see where it comes in. First thing is the slam to clear the pool. Then the CH needs to come up for a fiberglass pool. That would be a candidate for cheap Wal-Mart shock and swim red box. It is cal-hypo. It will give you the needed chlorine and a little CH at the same time. Pool math will also figure that for you.

Hi, Christy,

Welcome to the forum.

It is not clear to me that you have started the SLAM process. Are you?

If so, tell us how long you have been SLAMing, if you are not SLAMing, tell us that, too

We'll help get your pool crystal clear

We have not been slamming but have been adding liquid bleach...usually a gallon or two a day....until we received our test kit. I have my test kit...those are my numbers....now trying to figure out what to do. Our pump is running 24/7. Pool Math tells me I need to add 8 oz borax, 117 oz baking soda, 310 oz calcium chloride and 17 oz stabilizer.

Should I do that or something else? It looks like my cya and fc are correct for slamming. I will test again this afternoon.

Thanks for all the replies! I have been reading the boards and watching pool builds and backyards take shape all winter. Now I'm ready for me!

Christy

It looks like my cya and fc are correct for slamming
Yes they are. Since you are already at that level, please continue to SLAM the pool. The way to do that is read the SLAM article thoroughly and then follow the directions exactly as written. Ask a lot of questions if you have doubt.

It may take a few days but we'll help get your pool crystal clear. The most important thing to remember is to keep your SLAM FC levels up where they are supposed to be. Refer to the FC/CYA relationship chart in Pool School.

Thanks again for all your help. Day 3 of the actual SLAM

Fc 20.5
Cya 30

Brushed all three days. No debris that we can see but still cannot see the bottom. Last week we got everything out and I don't think anything is on the bottom. Maybe a slight improvement in color, still green and cloudy. Continuing to add bleach and waiting!

Christy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Persistence pays. The pool store way is throw chemicals at it and hope you get lucky. Now that you have reliable test, you can keep it at "Shock Level And Maintain". As it gets better look in pool school about adding a little DE to your sand filter. Once the algae is white and dead and on the bottom, it will help clear that up. I cleaned mine after both Rita and Ike for a fraction of the cost from what friends of mine spent. Rita was the worst because I had a lot of leaves and a sand filter. I think it took a little over a week after we got power. Ike I had a DE filter and it took about 5 days but the filter was the pain then.

Edit: You might drop your FC some. Your target is 12 so unless you can't stay on top of it, let it fall a little. It will save on the amount of bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.