Wondering If I Need A Gutter

crokett

Jul 17, 2007
Hillsborough, NC
I built a roof over part of my deck. The roof has the solar water heater panels on it. Because of the location and wanting it to pick up the sun for longer in the day it is pitched towards the pool. The roof material is solid surface - not shingles, so I won't get any gravel washing off the roof. I am wondering if I need to bother with a gutter. Is there going to be that much crud washing off the roof? If I don't have a gutter, water would be draining into the pool. If it matters, the roof is 20' long x 5' wide.

The question probably doesn't have an answer, but wondering if the amount of dust that gets washed into the pool will be all that significant. In addition actually installing the gutters, there will be the ongoing maintenance - cleaning, etc. That will be harder because the gutter will be out over the pool, so I'd have to buy an extension ladder (or borrow one) every time I wanted to get on the roof to clean the gutters. I wouldn't save any water. Any water I save is going to have all the crud in it that I am trying to keep from getting in the pool, plus I'd have to keep it treated somehow to keep algae from growing in it.

I wouldn't want the water to drain directly into the pool...I don't know what kind of rainfall ya'll get but I imagine it's enough to need to consider the possibility of overfilling the pool with rain water if you're collecting all the rain from the pool surface area and the roof surface area.

What kind of roofing material besides the solar panels on that roof?

Dust and dirt that would collect in the rain barrels would have time to settle out before you used it. There are many other uses for that collected rainwater besides your pool. Do you have lawn that need watering? Or perhaps flower/vegetable gardens?

As mrcarcrazy noted, directly into the pool might not be a good idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.