Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wondering If I Need A Gutter

1. Back To Top    #1

Wondering If I Need A Gutter

I built a roof over part of my deck. The roof has the solar water heater panels on it. Because of the location and wanting it to pick up the sun for longer in the day it is pitched towards the pool. The roof material is solid surface - not shingles, so I won't get any gravel washing off the roof. I am wondering if I need to bother with a gutter. Is there going to be that much crud washing off the roof? If I don't have a gutter, water would be draining into the pool. If it matters, the roof is 20' long x 5' wide.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wondering If I Need A Gutter

Any airborne dust that settles on your roof will be washed into your pool. If you add gutter, how about a way to save as much of the water as you can, for free refill water after backflush etc.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

The question probably doesn't have an answer, but wondering if the amount of dust that gets washed into the pool will be all that significant. In addition actually installing the gutters, there will be the ongoing maintenance - cleaning, etc. That will be harder because the gutter will be out over the pool, so I'd have to buy an extension ladder (or borrow one) every time I wanted to get on the roof to clean the gutters. I wouldn't save any water. Any water I save is going to have all the crud in it that I am trying to keep from getting in the pool, plus I'd have to keep it treated somehow to keep algae from growing in it.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I wouldn't want the water to drain directly into the pool...I don't know what kind of rainfall ya'll get but I imagine it's enough to need to consider the possibility of overfilling the pool with rain water if you're collecting all the rain from the pool surface area and the roof surface area.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

5. Back To Top    #5

What kind of roofing material besides the solar panels on that roof?

Dust and dirt that would collect in the rain barrels would have time to settle out before you used it. There are many other uses for that collected rainwater besides your pool. Do you have lawn that need watering? Or perhaps flower/vegetable gardens?

As mrcarcrazy noted, directly into the pool might not be a good idea.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Pool overflow could be a good concern as well. I'd gutter it.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!