Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No chlorine loss??

1. Back To Top    #1

No chlorine loss??

Just opened my pool over the weekend. I added bleach early evening yesterday. It hadn't had anything added to the water since late October although the water was crystal clear when I pulled off the winter cover. I put enough bleach to take it up to 14 FC figuring that there would be junk that needed killed even if I didn't see anything. I went out early this morning before the sun was up and it is still reading 14 FC. Could it really be that there was nothing in the water to use up any chlorine after sitting untreated all those months???
    27' Round X 54" Aqua Leader Sentinelle AGP, Vinyl J hook liner. 18,500 gal.
    Waterway 19" oval sand filter, US Motors EZBN25 1.0 hp 1.5 SPL Pump, BBB (Empty Aqua Smarte System connected, may use during vacation), Barracuda Zodiac 1500,
    Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No chlorine loss??

Yes, it is possible. At water temperatures below 60 degrees F, algae is fairly unlikely to grow and when it does it grows very slowly. Just continue keeping an eye on things as the water warms up.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: No chlorine loss??

That's good to know. When I closed last year, the water temperatures would have always been below 60-65. When I checked temperature Saturday, the water was 58 degrees. So I don't think the water has ever been higher than 60 since it was closed. Yesterday the outside temp was 81, but the water was still very cold. It is supposed to be 28 overnight tomorrow with possible flurries. But that will only be for a few hours. We've had the winter that just won't end here in Ohio. I'm hoping for an unusually hot May so that I can get started swimming. At least the pool is ready for when the temperatures finally come!
    27' Round X 54" Aqua Leader Sentinelle AGP, Vinyl J hook liner. 18,500 gal.
    Waterway 19" oval sand filter, US Motors EZBN25 1.0 hp 1.5 SPL Pump, BBB (Empty Aqua Smarte System connected, may use during vacation), Barracuda Zodiac 1500,
    Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 Test Kit.