Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Storing Vac Hose -- recommendations?

1. Back To Top    #1

Storing Vac Hose -- recommendations?

I'd like to get a hose reel. I see one that is a cart with wheels and other reels without wheels. I don't want something that is flimsy that will break or be more of a hassle to use than rolling the hose by hand.

The hose will likely be kept out of storage, in the sun sometimes. I don't think the reel will fit in the Suncast storage area where I used to wind the vac hose around some large tubs of chemicals.

Does anyone have any warnings of brands they were unhappy with, or suggestions of a brand they liked?

I do not want to make one of PVC, I really want one that unrolls the hose so that it does not kink.

Advice?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Storing Vac Hose -- recommendations?

We found a large trash can with lid works best for us. Easy to coil and uncoil, hides easily, and keeps the hose out of the sun.

3. Back To Top    #3

I use a trash can as well...........with wheels on it.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Mine just goes in the large deck box along with the nozzles and brooms. Handy and out of sight.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by steveg_nh View Post
    Mine just goes in the large deck box along with the nozzles and brooms. Handy and out of sight.
    Eh, been doing that, but I'm finding that not sufficient. Maybe now that the Polaris is running so well, we won't need that hose out much and it can go back where it had been, wound around a bucket of Cal-hypo or whatever in the storage box way around the corner.

I was hoping that someone had a favorite product that they used to roll the hose up and cart away neatly without having to wind up and fight to unwind later. Guess I'll just blindly try one, after I resolve whether it will fit back into the bin.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

6. Back To Top    #6

Out of curiosity, I Googled "Pool hose Reels"
    http://www.recreonics.com/vacuum_hoses_reel.htm

$1394.25 for this little reel !!
    18' x 36' IG Vinyl 30K gallon, Hayward 1 1/2 HP pump and DE Filter hardpiped, Aqua Pro 1300 Electric Heat Pump.
    TF100 Test Kit on order !
    Commercial Popcorn machine, sno cone machine and cotton candy machine, lost my red nose.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona View Post
    Eh, been doing that, but I'm finding that not sufficient. Maybe now that the Polaris is running so well, we won't need that hose out much and it can go back where it had been, wound around a bucket of Cal-hypo or whatever in the storage box way around the corner.

I was hoping that someone had a favorite product that they used to roll the hose up and cart away neatly without having to wind up and fight to unwind later. Guess I'll just blindly try one, after I resolve whether it will fit back into the bin.
    Probably why it works for me. Hardly use the hose vac with the Polaris. The robot works amazing!
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thats just crazy! Spend 1400 dollars to store a 35 dollar hose. And it aint even chromed! smh

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    Out of curiosity, I Googled "Pool hose Reels"
    http://www.recreonics.com/vacuum_hoses_reel.htm

$1394.25 for this little reel !!
    - - - Updated - - -

Excellent idea. Thanks woody!

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    I use a trash can as well...........with wheels on it.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

Hi. I am also looking for a storage solution. A trash can sounds good. But what about any moisture inside the hose?
    Intex Ultra Frame 18'x52"
    Intex 2650 Sand Pump
    Krystal Klear SWG

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by brightblonde View Post
    Hi. I am also looking for a storage solution. A trash can sounds good. But what about any moisture inside the hose?
    I use a trash can as well, I put a couple of holes in the bottom to let water drain out, I also keep the vac head & skimmer plate in it also
    I consider myself very lucky I found this site before the pool store found me-pool owner since Nov 2008- Stunningly clear 17,000 gal fiberglass pool, thanks to this site, installed in 1982-24" 3.1sq. ft sta-rite sand filter, 1 hp - 2 speed wisperflo pump-WFDS-4

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

On some of the cleaners if you read the manual, they say to lay the hose straight/flat and do no leave coiled up.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

12. Back To Top    #12

I hang it from a hook under the deck stairs. I hardly use it. Most pool vac'ing is handled by the Polaris.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for the suggestions.

Does the hose need to be kept out of the sun?
    Intex Ultra Frame 18'x52"
    Intex 2650 Sand Pump
    Krystal Klear SWG

14. Back To Top    #14

Pool Cleaner & Vacuum Storage Hose Reel - PoolSupplies.com

Haven't ordered one yet myself but thinking about it

15. Back To Top    #15

Certainly not a bad idea to keep it out of the sun. After a while, the sun will ruin anything.

16. Back To Top    #16

I use a FeherGuard FG-VHG reel. Works pretty well.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

17. Back To Top    #17

20K gal, IG vinyl, 1 1/2 HP Hayward Super Pump , 100lb sand, installed 2000 - new liner/filter/pump March 2014
    TF-100 test kit