Have DE filter - want something "healthier"

gb99

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 15, 2013
Boston, MA
Hi,

We have a DE filter for the pool and I've read that DE can be hazardous to your health. I'm sure it must be eaten or breathed to really be dangerous, but I have young kids and I have some auto-immune health issues. So my OCD side says I want to replace the DE with something less hazardous, preferably with something that doesn't have potential side effects.

Can you guys/gals recommend something that is a direct replacement? Ideally, I'd like to just "convert" the DE filter and retain the existing canister.

Thanks in advance.

It is only dangerous if breathed in, which is only when recharging the filter. There is cellulose fiber you can use in the filter instead of DE that is safe ... search for discussions about it.

I also recommend the cellulose filter media like fibre clear. It is environmentally friendly and very light weight. You really can't convert a filter that uses DE to one that uses sand or a cartridge. If you want a different type of filter you will have to buy one.

Hi,

I found a product made by Sil-Kleer at my local pool store over the weekend and want to know if anyone on here has tried it? I tried to find cellulose fiber, but they didn't carry it. Please let me know your experiences with Sil-Kleer as I intend to use it in the next few days. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.