Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Have DE filter - want something "healthier"

1. Back To Top    #1

Have DE filter - want something "healthier"

Hi,

We have a DE filter for the pool and I've read that DE can be hazardous to your health. I'm sure it must be eaten or breathed to really be dangerous, but I have young kids and I have some auto-immune health issues. So my OCD side says I want to replace the DE with something less hazardous, preferably with something that doesn't have potential side effects.

Can you guys/gals recommend something that is a direct replacement? Ideally, I'd like to just "convert" the DE filter and retain the existing canister.

Thanks in advance.
    Inground pool; about 20,000 gallons (18' x 36'); pool liner (vinyl?) a few years old; Haywood pump SPX2607X10

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Have DE filter - want something "healthier"

It is only dangerous if breathed in, which is only when recharging the filter. There is cellulose fiber you can use in the filter instead of DE that is safe ... search for discussions about it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree. The only risk is if someone breathed in a lot of dust on a regular basis. When used as directed, it is a safe and effective filtration media.

4. Back To Top    #4

Plug fiberclear into the search box. I use it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Have DE filter - want something "healthier"

I just stated using fiberclear myself. Thought I'd give it a try. So far so good.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

I also recommend the cellulose filter media like fibre clear. It is environmentally friendly and very light weight. You really can't convert a filter that uses DE to one that uses sand or a cartridge. If you want a different type of filter you will have to buy one.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi,

I found a product made by Sil-Kleer at my local pool store over the weekend and want to know if anyone on here has tried it? I tried to find cellulose fiber, but they didn't carry it. Please let me know your experiences with Sil-Kleer as I intend to use it in the next few days. Thanks!
    Inground pool; about 20,000 gallons (18' x 36'); pool liner (vinyl?) a few years old; Haywood pump SPX2607X10

8. Back To Top    #8

A quick search revealed that this product has not been mentioned on the forum. So, you may be the guinea pig.

A similar product is Aquaperl which you can search the forum for a few posts. Here is one:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...DE-Alternative
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!