LifeTime Supporter
May 2, 2012
North of Charlotte, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Tis the season once again in my neck of the woods, good to be back.....forum looks different (but cool) thanks to the folks that take care of things,been reading a bunch of threads on acid injection and there don't seem to be that many recent talks or discussions on newer options? I'm in the process of finally having my liner replaced in the up coming weeks and my pool builder doing my liner brought up Acid injection,he must have seen my Stenner pump and 15gal drum for my Hypo :) Anyhow, I love my Stenner and was just looking into this whole acid injection he brought up, would be nice to just have pH dialed in and not have to worry about manually dosing....

Any newer thoughts that work well other then a similar Stenner set-up for acid ? Simpool pH or similar Seko or any brand small acid injection / sensor system?

Yeah I understand the whole correct TA thing but my PH still continues to drift up with all other chemistry at the correct levels...just thought it may be worth the automation if it can keep it at a steady state rather then dosing manually....

Sent from my DNA using Tapatalk

Last season I've been running my TA at 60-70ish, CYA stays at around 45-55 ish , inject 12.5% sodium hypo with a stenner pump twice daily to maintain 4.5-5.5 FC... And still dose acid usually twice a week after it drifts to 7.8 with very light swimmer load and splashing.

Sent from my DNA using Tapatalk

I would suggest just maintaining the pH at about 7.6 to 7.8 without any specific TA target.

Just understand that with the lower TA, your pH will have less buffering and more prone to being pushed out of range by any acidic or basic chemical.

The sodium hypochlorite should be the only basic chemical. However, if it is added and lost at roughly the same rate, it should be mostly pH neutral. There might be a slight pH rise over the course of a week, but you should not have to add acid any more frequently then that.

For the most part, you won't be adding anything acidic, and therefore, there should be no reason for your pH to fall too low.

Cyanuric acid is probably the only chemical that you will need to add that would lower the pH. When adding cyanuric acid, you could raise the TA some to compensate before adding the acid. That should be a once, or twice, a summer event. If you add a little at a time to maintain CYA levels, then you should not have any issues with adding cyanuric acid. The only time it should be an issue is if you have to add a lot at one time.

pH rise due to CO2 should be virtually eliminated by the lower TA and higher pH targets. In fact, you could actually get into a situation where aeration would lower the pH if the TA were low enough, but that gets more difficult to manage.

In my opinion, TAs role in providing a buffer is mostly overestimated because there is rarely anything added to the water that would push the pH way up or down.

roadking00 said:
Simpool pH or similar Seko or any brand small acid injection / sensor system?

Still using Simpool and just replaced the pH sensor (75 Euro) from Italy. Also replaced all of the santoprene tubing that runs from and to the supply line before filter. Quite simple to use and all I do is dial in the proper pH range after sensor calibration. It sucks up MA from a generic Home Depot 1 gallon Acid bottle and currently I replace that bottle about every 3 weeks.

Any reliable contact info for either companys? Ive emailed Simpool but still no reply?

Still using Simpool and just replaced the pH sensor (75 Euro) from Italy. Also replaced all of the santoprene tubing that runs from and to the supply line before filter. Quite simple to use and all I do is dial in the proper pH range after sensor calibration. It sucks up MA from a generic Home Depot 1 gallon Acid bottle and currently I replace that bottle about every 3 weeks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.