Proud owner of a glorious swamp!

My .02 from another warm climate guy in North GA. I also didn't close mine last year and just ran the pump when the temp got low near freezing. It was more than we ever usually get but our water/sewer cost is high enough to allow for a bunch of electric costs. IE to truly close properly you need to lower the level below the returns and blow out the lines. Thats a bunch of water/sewer cost for me to refill in the spring.

They make a timer that will run when the temp gets near freezing. Might be worth the investment especially since you need to replace yours.

Not sure if i'm allowed to link but Amazon has them. "Intermatic Freeze Timer" I wish i'd known they made it before sinking the money into a standard one.

I also enjoyed the **** out of this thread. You have a similar sense of humour as I.

As soon as I can find the internal breaker for the pool box breaker. I'm pretty sure this house was wired by MC Escher.
I know that feeling.
Electric company is supposed to be swapping out the meters in my neighborhood to digital ones. I half fear they will see the condition of my breaker panel and refuse to reconnect my service. :shock:

I haven't posted since last year so I thought I'd catch up anyone who's interested on the state of my former swamp! First, old business, things that were not working:

• I had the timer fixed. I'm now running on a 12 hour duration which seems to be sufficient for cleaning and skimming. Since it seems to be working fine at this stage, I plan on testing a shorter duration, probably 8 hours is next.
  • I replaced the ailing salt cell with a Hayward GLX-15-W. This is heavier duty than a 15K gallon pool needs, but I found it at a decent price and hopefully it has a longer life span.
  • My pool light is still out. I bought a replacement housing, and our usual contractor was kind enough to jump in there mid-winter to try and replace it, but he discovered that there is a break in the wiring to the panel. We decided to push this to a future project.
To close the pool last winter we had a Loop-Loc cover installed. This was mainly to keep the leaves out (the pool is under the arms of a living oak tree) and save the lives of a few frogs, but mostly it was due to a spontaneous onset of incredible laziness. I did not drain the pool any, I just adjusted the chemicals, slammed it, and let it go. When there was danger of a frost I turned on the pool pump. I did not turn on our well pump, on the other hand, which of course burst and needed repair. I pretty much ignored the pool all winter, and as a result foolishly let the FC drop to zero. It took on a slight green tint, but it did not take much slamming at all to bring it back to sparkly clean.

Removing the mesh cover I discovered significant difference in color between the exposed deck and the portion that was covered. I should have taken photos, I know, I'm sorry! I took a pump sprayer with a mix of bleach, and scrubbed the whole deck with a shop broom. After two hours of work, I'm not sure if I made it cleaner or if I just blended various levels of dirt, but in any case it looks better.

The initial readings on opening were disheartening. CYA was low enough to not register on the test, calcium was down to 200, salt was very low. When it rains in the Charleston area it sometimes gets torrential. I suspected there was some overflow, but I didn't imagine it would be this much! I balanced the chemicals right after the slam, and here is where the chemicals are today:

• FC 3
  • CC 0
  • TA 70
  • CYA 75
  • Calcium 300
  • Salt 3400 (according to titrate test, 3000 according to control panel)
  • PH: don't worry about PH, dog, I got this
The latest issue I've noticed is staining and divots on the pool surface. I don't know if this was caused from the reduced calcium over the winter, or if this was a preexisting issue that I just never noticed last year. To snap some underwater pictures, I threw on my snorkel mask and grabbed my Kodak waterproof camera which hasn't seem much use since our trip to French Polynesia four years ago. In part, moving to Charleston to a house with a pool is a palliative treatment of our desire to go back there. :)

This stain is in the deep end, and by running my hand over the edges I can feel a small depression. This is the one I'm most worried about:

stain-deep1.jpg

stain-deep2.jpg

This is in the shallow section, at the base of the stairs, in a corner:

stain-shallow.jpg

There are several stains on the stairs. Hrmph!

stain-stairs.jpg

Some of the photos look a little dirty and that's because the dog finally learned to swim. He doesn't like to get his head dunked, but he's happy to accept an invitation to walk down the stairs and then jump in. At first, he'd just swim to the ledge and back, but now he'll hang out in the center and follow me for a while until he gets tired. Anyhow, in between swims, Mugsy likes to nap in the dirt cavity he created under the palm trees behind the chairs. Hence, the dirt which tends to collect here and needs vacuuming.

pool-mugsy1.jpg

And on the ledge is a good example of white marbling that is in several places. The white section is smooth, next to the regular texture of the pool surface. Is this an intentional design, or a result of degradation?

stain-ledge.jpg

My next step in pool ownership education is to dedicate some time reading posts on the Chemistry 201 forum, looking at examples of stains. I'm hoping these things don't require a complete drain to fix, or that their degradation can be slowed to a point where we don't have to address it for a while. Next winter I resolve to be less lazy twit and check the levels monthly.

99.95% sure the snake is harmless. I'd rather have one of those hanging around for rodent control than a cat-- the cat is actively plotting your demise at all times while the snake just wants to be left alone.
You know, this reminds me of a recent incident. We stored moving boxes in our shed, and when I went to fetch them for a friend who is moving, we saw several rats scurrying about. While I stood at the threshold, disgruntled, staring at the shed's new tenants, a snake came rising from behind the boxes. It rose a foot in front of the window, vertically, almost defying gravity. Before I could register another emotion, a rat jumped up and BIT the snake, dragging it down below the boxes. It was like watching a ship sink into the depths, with me speechless, or perhaps mumbling "oh, the humanity!" I closed the door and said, sorry, I thought we had boxes, I was mistaken. Now that rats are taking down snakes, my current plan to deal with this menagerie is to set the shed on fire...

On a separate note, my Hayward pool pump blew today. I noticed it had tripped the breaker, and when trying to start it up, it trips again and emits a puff of smoke. It's possible it's steam not smoke, I didn't smell it, but it's an older pump and that doesn't bode well. I'm inclined to just buy a full replacement, and I'm evaluating 2-speed options but they seem a little expensive.

RATS taking down a snake??????? OH adult word NO! Yeah I see a bon fire in your future!

I just now saw your pics of your pool bottom. Those really look like divots or holes. Might want to save your pennies and start looking around for who does plaster in your area.

Can you patch that kind of stuff to help you not have to do it before your pennies are ready? I bet there is an answer on TFP somewhere LOL.

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

OH and the VS pump will pay for it's self over the life of the pump with $$ savings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.