Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I open pool with cover on until pollen clears, or wait a month?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I open pool with cover on until pollen clears, or wait a month?

Last year when we bought the house, the owners had me help open the pool. They strictly waited until late May to open, waiting for all the overhanging oak trees to finish dropping their pollen and "fuzzies" all over the place, and it was a swamp. Right now my pool is looking pretty good- nice coat of bottom sediment, but water is clear. I was thinking about firing up the pool (pull plugs, fill pool, and start up pump) and get the chemistry right, but leave the cover on until the trees are done. Then when it's uncovered, I can worry about vacuuming the bottom and getting the leaves and sticks out that found their way in. OR.... should I just leave it until I uncover it next month? Today it's 85 degrees and it looks like we're done with freezing temps for the year.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I open pool with cover on until pollen clears, or wait a month?

I did exactly that last year, and I'm planning on doing it again next week or the week after.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Can I open pool with cover on until pollen clears, or wait a month?

That's what I do. I wait till the seed pods fall from the maple tree then I take the cover off. I already have my pump and filter hooked up and water balanced. I'll vacuum when I take the cover off.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Can I open pool with cover on until pollen clears, or wait a month?

Thanks! I know what my project will be for next weekend. Now to read up on what to balance first over in pool school.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool