Add a return to my above ground

Apr 13, 2014
Alabama
Hello,

I have an Esther Williams 18x33 above ground pool that is partially buried. The pool was installed about 12 years ago. Our Jacuzzi DE filter system needs to be replaced, so I'm researching new ones. The old system seemed to be a bit undersized for the pool, but my research has shown that my 1.5 inch pvc lines to the skimmer and the single return line are going to limit me to about 44 GPM flow, regardless of the pump size. I started wondering if I could increase that limit by installing a second return line, which increases my flow to 70 GPM or so. Being partially buried limits my options to placing a return directly below the existing, or to place it upstream of the skimmer by up to 25 feet.

I'm considering the Hayward Perflex EC50. If I can increase the flow max, I can consider a larger filter/pump such as the EC65 or EC75.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The 44 GPM limit is not true ... you can move much more water through the pipes than that.

Usually filters and pumps are best bought separately as many combo units are not paired well (with small filters and large pumps).

The filter is sized to your pool size. I think the EC50 seems a little small for your pool (those filters do not fit our normal sizing guides, though so I am not certain ... a normal DE I would say get at least a 36sqft one).

The pump should be sized to your water flow needs, there is no reason to get a larger pump unless you need more flow.
If you decide to replace the pump as well, consider getting a 2-speed to save on electrical costs.

Well that's good news. After researching more on this site, I ended up ordering a Hayward EC75 (40sqft) and a Pentair 1-1/2 HP 2-speed pump. I'll defer adding another return and see how this all works together. Thanks for the good info on this site.

I've used enough forums and they've all been around long enough that you can generally find the info you need without asking these days. I appreciate those that hang around and provide the wisdom and experience. We've been using DE for 12 years and I'm looking forward to a new generation of filter and pump to make my sunny days a lot more pleasant.

Well that's good news. After researching more on this site, I ended up ordering a Hayward EC75 (40sqft) and a Pentair 1-1/2 HP 2-speed pump. I'll defer adding another return and see how this all works together. Thanks for the good info on this site.

I think you'll be happy with that filter. I use a EC 65 and I'm pleased with its performance. Some people question the bump aspect but over all I feel it's a good filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.