Black or Slate Liner (Pics Inside)

Apr 6, 2013
Hey folks!,

We had a pool build last summer and to say the least, one of the most frustrating experiences of my life. I was planning on doing a build thread but sometimes it is nicer to just say nothing at all. With that being said if anyone is planning on building in Upstate SC, please feel free to contact me with details.

My wife any myself wanted something a little different and to be honest, something that might not look like a typical vinyl liner. We were torn between a sand color and something very dark. It was a hard decision because neither our builder or the distributor could provide any decent reference pictures. There are a few online that have take pictures but to get a true color representation you have to be careful about how the pictures are taken. So, I've taken a few pictures today that look pretty darn close to what we see on full daylight.

Night time pictures really are dependent on what we are doing with the in-pool light so, it really doesn't matter what that looks like.

This is the liner we went with:

Untitled by a.hoglen, on Flickr

These are a few panos from today. Please don't mind the grass, landscaping and muddy deck. We are working to get it all done this season but our build deficiencies really hindered the amount of work we could have gotten done last summer and over this winter.

by a.hoglen, on Flickr

by a.hoglen, on Flickr

13825229425_79bdf52661_b.jpg

13825247423_c9329df1e7_b.jpg

Thanks for looking. Feel free to interject ideas to finish this thing out (we still have a lot of river rock to bring in to transition from deck to grass, a fence?? and…?????)

I hope this helps someone with a decision in the future and I'm more than willing to help where I can.

I remember you sent me a few pics a while back!

Would you agree that your liner looks pretty close in daylight?

I think the angle makes mine look different at times, if I am standing over it I can see the bottom pretty easily especially in the sun but if I am looking at an angle it looks closer to yours.

we are installing our liner next week, but I've just joined this forum - so I hope I'm not too late for advice! It's such a huge investment and I am SOOOOOOOO picky when it comes to details. I knew immediately that I wanted a darker liner, like a friend's gunite pool - but my pool contract seemed hesitant. Can you tell me what the drawbacks are? I need to choose tomorrow afternoon! I am planning a very simple concrete (plain) deck, with canitlever coping, i like the elegance and clean lines. We have two young boys and i'm planning to greenscape with sea grass and hydrangeas. Our pool shape is lagoon and I think the dark liner would be nice, but i would love to see more photos before i commit. can anyone help?? ty!

Can you tell me if you are happy with your decision? Wanting this liner but everyone keeps discouraging but no one has any experience with it. Would be good to hear from someone with experience. Thank you so much for your input, in advance! Karen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is beautiful! We just had to re-choose our liner because there were distribution problems and I again was debating between the dark granite and a sand colored liner. We stuck with a different pattern on the sand liner only because I was worried I would not be able to see the bottom (and any creatures that may have wondered in). Do you find that to be a problem?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.