Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Black or Slate Liner (Pics Inside)

1. Back To Top    #1

Black or Slate Liner (Pics Inside)

Hey folks!,

We had a pool build last summer and to say the least, one of the most frustrating experiences of my life. I was planning on doing a build thread but sometimes it is nicer to just say nothing at all. With that being said if anyone is planning on building in Upstate SC, please feel free to contact me with details.

My wife any myself wanted something a little different and to be honest, something that might not look like a typical vinyl liner. We were torn between a sand color and something very dark. It was a hard decision because neither our builder or the distributor could provide any decent reference pictures. There are a few online that have take pictures but to get a true color representation you have to be careful about how the pictures are taken. So, I've taken a few pictures today that look pretty darn close to what we see on full daylight.

Night time pictures really are dependent on what we are doing with the in-pool light so, it really doesn't matter what that looks like.

This is the liner we went with:

Untitled by a.hoglen, on Flickr

These are a few panos from today. Please don't mind the grass, landscaping and muddy deck. We are working to get it all done this season but our build deficiencies really hindered the amount of work we could have gotten done last summer and over this winter.

by a.hoglen, on Flickr

by a.hoglen, on Flickr

Thanks for looking. Feel free to interject ideas to finish this thing out (we still have a lot of river rock to bring in to transition from deck to grass, a fence?? andů?????)

I hope this helps someone with a decision in the future and I'm more than willing to help where I can.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Black or Slate Liner (Pics Inside)

We have the same liner and love it. Your pool is beautiful!
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

3. Back To Top    #3

That is a very nice looking pool !!You guys made some good choices I think. The deck is nice and large too. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun out there !
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks.. I've got a time lapse of the build I'll upload at some point.. Hopefully with some lighting, mulch, rocks and some pressure washing it'll start coming together.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by doobs41378 View Post
    We have the same liner and love it. Your pool is beautiful!
    I remember you sent me a few pics a while back!

Would you agree that your liner looks pretty close in daylight?

6. Back To Top    #6

It came out great

7. Back To Top    #7

That is gorgeous! Thanks for posting your liner pictures - so tough to make a decision and viewing pictures on this forum has been so helpful!

8. Back To Top    #8

I remember you sent me a few pics a while back!

Would you agree that your liner looks pretty close in daylight?

I think the angle makes mine look different at times, if I am standing over it I can see the bottom pretty easily especially in the sun but if I am looking at an angle it looks closer to yours.
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

9. Back To Top    #9

we are installing our liner next week, but I've just joined this forum - so I hope I'm not too late for advice! It's such a huge investment and I am SOOOOOOOO picky when it comes to details. I knew immediately that I wanted a darker liner, like a friend's gunite pool - but my pool contract seemed hesitant. Can you tell me what the drawbacks are? I need to choose tomorrow afternoon! I am planning a very simple concrete (plain) deck, with canitlever coping, i like the elegance and clean lines. We have two young boys and i'm planning to greenscape with sea grass and hydrangeas. Our pool shape is lagoon and I think the dark liner would be nice, but i would love to see more photos before i commit. can anyone help?? ty!

10. Back To Top    #10

Can you tell me if you are happy with your decision? Wanting this liner but everyone keeps discouraging but no one has any experience with it. Would be good to hear from someone with experience. Thank you so much for your input, in advance! Karen

11. Back To Top    #11

I love your liner. Could you please send me updated pics of your pool. I want to go with the black sand like you. I am sure everyone will doubt me. But it is simply different and gorgeous .

12. Back To Top    #12

wow! that looks really nice!

Hard to tell it's vinyl on a first glance.

nicely done!
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thank you so much for posting this, I'm in the same position. I have a 20 x 40 9ft deep pool and I'm torn between tan or black. Do you remember the name of that liner by chance, it looks beautiful.

14. Back To Top    #14

That is beautiful! We just had to re-choose our liner because there were distribution problems and I again was debating between the dark granite and a sand colored liner. We stuck with a different pattern on the sand liner only because I was worried I would not be able to see the bottom (and any creatures that may have wondered in). Do you find that to be a problem?
    Starting Monday 4/18/16...18x39x30x14 L vinyl liner pool. All Hayward equipment: Tristar pump, 300K BTU heater, s310 sand filter, T-15 swg, Omnilogic. 2-12v universal color logic lights + 1-320 accent light on the steps, Latham gold pebble liner. Tf-100 test kit

15. Back To Top    #15

That too was one of my negatives about a tan liner, being able to see algae if it ever came up.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.