does my pump have a' high' speed?

Apr 8, 2014
Louisiana
I'm new and going to try and vacuum. I watched a video where the guy says to switch the pump to high and he flipped a switch on the pump. I don't have one. I digital display has something called desired output which has a % dial. Is that it?
Do I set the pump to filter or waste?
Do I leave the skimmer basket in?

- - - Updated - - -

My current desired output is 60 %

If you have a single-speed pump, there is no speed switch as these always run on high at the full rated RPM. If your not sure, please include the brand/model # and/or pic. I'm with Ike in that the desired output % you are seeing is likely a SWG setting.

There are a few pumps that have a percentage setting, but they are quite rare. Far more common are salt system (SWG) control panels with a percentage setting. If the percentage display and knob are directly mounted on the pump, then it is a variable speed pump. But if the percentage display and the knob are on a separate box then they are almost certainly for a SWG and you have a single speed pump.

For regular vacuuming leave the filter set to filter and connect your vaccum to the skimmer or vacuum port if you have one. For serious vacuuming (first time of the year, lots of stuff pick up) set to waste and vacuum, then return to filter position and refill water being lost while vacuuming. When done clean out strainer basket, and of course turn off pump to change settings on the diverter valve.

On a side point you should consider getting a 2 speed pump, it will pay for itself in electrical sayings within a year or so.

Ike

Just as a caution and since your new to these operations, every time you change the position of the filter valve you should first shut the pump off, then change the valve position, then restart the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.