Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: does my pump have a' high' speed?

1. Back To Top    #1

does my pump have a' high' speed?

I'm new and going to try and vacuum. I watched a video where the guy says to switch the pump to high and he flipped a switch on the pump. I don't have one. I digital display has something called desired output which has a % dial. Is that it?
    Do I set the pump to filter or waste?
    Do I leave the skimmer basket in?

- - - Updated - - -

My current desired output is 60 %
    IG (in ground)
    vinyl
    sand filter
    SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: does my pump have a' high' speed?

A little more information would help, like brand and model of the pump you have now, or even a photo or two.

Ike

p.s. I suspect the 60% display is likely on a timer or SWG control panel
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

If you have a single-speed pump, there is no speed switch as these always run on high at the full rated RPM. If your not sure, please include the brand/model # and/or pic. I'm with Ike in that the desired output % you are seeing is likely a SWG setting.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

There are a few pumps that have a percentage setting, but they are quite rare. Far more common are salt system (SWG) control panels with a percentage setting. If the percentage display and knob are directly mounted on the pump, then it is a variable speed pump. But if the percentage display and the knob are on a separate box then they are almost certainly for a SWG and you have a single speed pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

It's a. Hayward super pump number sp-1607-z1-m

Sounds like a single speed. So how do I vacuum?
    IG (in ground)
    vinyl
    sand filter
    SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

For regular vacuuming leave the filter set to filter and connect your vaccum to the skimmer or vacuum port if you have one. For serious vacuuming (first time of the year, lots of stuff pick up) set to waste and vacuum, then return to filter position and refill water being lost while vacuuming. When done clean out strainer basket, and of course turn off pump to change settings on the diverter valve.

On a side point you should consider getting a 2 speed pump, it will pay for itself in electrical sayings within a year or so.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks
    IG (in ground)
    vinyl
    sand filter
    SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

Just as a caution and since your new to these operations, every time you change the position of the filter valve you should first shut the pump off, then change the valve position, then restart the pump.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks, pretty successful day vacuuming the pool.
    IG (in ground)
    vinyl
    sand filter
    SWG