Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Metallic Stains

1. Back To Top    #1

Metallic Stains

My neighbor has a plaster pool new in January and I'll try to determine if the charcoal colored stains are organic or metallic. If the stains are metallic and I chelate the metal will it coagulate and get picked up by the cartridge filter? I assume the filters are 5 microns. I'm ok if it's organic, just super clorinate and scrub..Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Metallic Stains

One good test is to try a vitamin C tablet left on a stained area until it dissolves. If the stain lifts, or lightens significantly, it is a metal stain, probably iron. Another test is to leave a tricolor tablet on a stained area for a minute or two, if the stain lifts (or lightens) it is probably organic.

Metals hardly ever get filtered out. It does happen once in a while, but we don't know of any way to reliably get metals to coagulate enough to be filtered.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Metallic Stains

Took a second look today with the Vit C and it appears to be Calcium build up. Added the de-calcifier will see what it looks like in 2 weeks.