Gunite pool build - leak in spa

Flatlander

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 5, 2012
Oklahoma City
We had a good pressure test before gunite. But before filling in perimeter ditches, we pressure tested again and discovered a leak at one of the spa jets. Gunite company is very reputable but unfortunately the nozzle guy must have run into the extending return pipe to hard (6' ID). Looks like a pin hole right above a Tee. But is it the only one?
PB wants to epoxy the hole, I think it should be cut out and replaced. Also, how should concrete be replaced without having a "cold joint"? Re-shot with gunite?
Any ideas? Thanks for any advice!!
Currently
5yvezuge.jpg

Rebar/plumbing
3y2avu4e.jpg

Leak
a2a6u9yr.jpg

Jackhammered
hema9uve.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patching with epoxy from the outside will almost certainly fail over time.

Concrete to concrete bonding is generally fairly easy. You want some rebar rigidly attached to the old concrete, either preexisting or epoxied into holes drilled into the old concrete. The old surface should also be either acid washed or sandblasted. These days it is common to also use a bond coat, which is applied similar to paint right before the new concrete is applied, but that is not essential.

Jason, thanks for the info!! The pipe was replaced and we have held 18psi for 2 weeks. My concern now is if the spa is not "shot" how can you get concrete/gunite all the way back in the small voids. Of course PB says no problem but I am worried about the structural integrity 10-20 years from now. I will post current pic.

Patching with epoxy from the outside will almost certainly fail over time.

Concrete to concrete bonding is generally fairly easy. You want some rebar rigidly attached to the old concrete, either preexisting or epoxied into holes drilled into the old concrete. The old surface should also be either acid washed or sandblasted. These days it is common to also use a bond coat, which is applied similar to paint right before the new concrete is applied, but that is not essential.

Any concerns about the rebar not being sealed or for future rebar rust coming through?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.