Paint Flaking in Western Virginia

I've lurked here for a while, but this is my first time posting.

My wife and I have been in this house about 3 years. The previous owners painted the bottom of this pool with an epoxy-type paint (over an older layer of paint), and now it's flaking quite badly.

DSC00906_zps1b208db4.jpg

Right now we're just trying to do whatever is cheapest to get the pool up and running for this year, but we're also considering what we should do for a long-term solution when we have the budget. Right now we're using a power washer and a tile remover tool to remove the flaking paint. Once we've done that we'll either leave the bottom as is or paint it again. There are a couple of issues though. There are seams in the concrete.

DSC00905_zps77341103.jpg

They had used some type of rubbery paint/putty in these seams, but the epoxy paint didn't stick to it very well. Any ideas on what we should use for these seams?

Also there are the seams between the wall panels.

DSC00904_zps96815541.jpg

They used silicon over these seams, which seamed to work, but will probably only last a few years.

We've considered installing a liner, but I have reservations there. I'm worried it won't fit well (we have built-tin step). Also the concrete deck is not in the best shape either and I'm worried we'd have trouble getting the coping installed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

DSC00903_zpse6692678.jpg

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Painting rarely recommended. It is usually at best a few years before it starts coming apart again.

Silicone is also not likely the correct solution for the seams ... although I am not sure what to recommend.

Remove all loose paint. You really need to know what kind of paint was used. If it is a rubber based paint that is what you need to repaint with. If it was epoxy use epoxy. Usually they won't stick to each other. I have only found one product to patch cracks with that I have used to seal and have it stay. Take a look at www.ecosmartepoxysystem.com , they are from Florida and have a system that can renovate your pool and fix all the issues you have.

I just wanted to chime in to say (as a relatively new pool owner - and the sellers painted mine,too) - I am in the middle of a face lift for my pool and it is costing me about $1200 extra because I have to have all the old paint sandblasted off. If you are thinking in the next few years you might want to plaster the bottom, you really may want to think about the paint. I don't know if plastering is an option because it looks like the sides are panels and I have never seen one like that. You might consider having a pool company come out and bid you patching the cracks and white plaster - it might not be as bad as you think. I had a couple of bids for just white plaster at under $3,000. I am sure some depends on your area, but it might be worth checking into. Or someone here might be able to tell you if that is even possible with the sides being panels.

Plaster isn't an option with the fiberglass walls. The only option for a pool constructed this way is to paint the concrete floor for the time being. Eventually it could be coated with fiberglass and that run onto the walls and sealed there. This used to be a common build system. But that tells how long I have been in the business.

I have the same pool with a hairline crack in the same spot as you. It's been painted many times in its 45+ year life. They are right. The paint doesn't last and doesn't look good for long. I think when I do a renovation I will go for a vinyl liner. I have the same concern about the steps. I think they will need to be removed to make the liner an option. Does your pool leak at the wall seams? They may have caulked them even though they didn't need it. I've read here, I think, that the seals they use on those seams are pretty good and don't usually leak. You can search the forums for "hybrid pool".

Plaster isn't an option with the fiberglass walls. The only option for a pool constructed this way is to paint the concrete floor for the time being. Eventually it could be coated with fiberglass and that run onto the walls and sealed there. This used to be a common build system. But that tells how long I have been in the business.

Bummer. I hope you can figure out something besides paint. It just seems like such a bad option.

Paint IF done properly will last 5-7 years as long as you maintain proper water chemistry. If you are unsure of what paint was used before sandblast and start with fresh concrete. You cannot apply a rubber based pool paint overan epoxy or epoxy over rubber based. If you are applying paint to an existing paint surface you must be sure that all loose paint is removed prior to painting. Surface preparation is key to a lastingjob. I have a country club that I painted 7 years ago and at the end of this season we are draining, sand blasting, repairing cracks, and repainting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
From past experience the water would push under the plaster and cause it to lift from the concrete. Tried it once several years ago lasted about a year and plaster guy said that is what caused failure. Was he right I don't know. Just have had better luck with these style pools to paint. A high quality pool paint (expensive) will last. You just have to do what it takes to get a good surface. A quality paint job isn't cheap.

Check out this forum post:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/6763-My-pool-refurb-amp-paint-is-complete!

And his website covering the renovation:

http://www.planethill.com/house/pool/pool.htm

It covers rehab of a pool just like yours. I had one like that when I lived in PA and we repainted. It isn't the best solution but since it is fiberglass and concrete there are not many options. One of the only other options besides paint is to get the whole thing covered with fiberglass but that was insanely expensive when I looked into is (20k). I am trying to remember what I used on my seams in the fiberglass panels... I think I used something on the recommendation of a local pool store.

For the cracks in the concrete base, I used an angle grinder and cut a V into them and then filled them with hydraulic cement. It's interesting how ever one of these types of pools has the same kind of failures. I wonder how little rebar was used in the concrete base, or if they used any.

Anyway check out the links, I think you will find them quite helpful.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I looked at the planethill site and that thread. Also I found a bunch of other threads by searching for 'hybrid pool.' I think the epoxy route gives the best result, but it's scary how meticulous you have to be. And the weather has to cooperate. Next year we'll decide to do the epoxy or put in a liner. For this year, we'll just get all the flaking paint off that we can and patch the seams.

Also, to the person that asked whether the seam were leaking. As far as I could tell the pool was not leaking anywhere except for the top 8 inches, which would have to be the top part of a seam. Looking at the seams I think I could tell which one was the culprit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.