Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First time Pool Owner Question

1. Back To Top    #1

First time Pool Owner Question

Not actually owner, but renter. I am renting a house, and We are responsible for the pool. A little about it. It is 16x32 in ground 3 ft on both ends 6 ft in the middle. Salt water system, and we live in central florida. When we first decided to rent the pool was extremely green. The landlords had someone come out they drained it, and put new water in, and chemicals. When we moved in I tested it it needed more chemicals landlords put them in. Seems like water evaporates extremely quick, i topped off with water, that was about a week ago. Today I get home from work and it's turning green. I cleaned the filter, and let it run some more. Its now off for the night. Landlords put in 2 big bags of salt, and some other things. Should the pool need salt already. The chlorinator is an intellichlor. The green light in the power box is on, but no lights are on on the chlorinator itself. I do not know if there should be any on. Does anyone have this system that could help me out? OR anyone that can help out in general with why the pool would be turning green so quick. Also I ordered a solar cover. Will that help with water evaporation, and chemical evaporation?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time Pool Owner Question

Green means algae, and a saltwater generator won't be able to generate enough chlorine fast enough to kill it off once it gets started. If the SWG is working correctly, the pool should never turn green. So something is wrong. But first you need to get that water clear. There are a huge number of articles in Pool School that can do a better job explaining it all than I can.

A cover will slow down the evaporation and speed up the heating by sunlight. But I wouldn't put it on until the pool is clear. It will just become an algae breeding ground if you do.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

First time Pool Owner Question

One thing I would suggest to you besides spending time reading in pool school is getting yourself a good test kit. Here are the ones we recommend. http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...its-comparison
    If you want to have a trouble free pool you need one of those kits. Now when you get yourself one of the kits post up a full set of test results and we can help you get your water cleared up and balanced. Without some good accurate test results it's hard to get things right for you.
    I use the TF-100 kit.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

+1 on the test kit and Pool School.

And welcome to TFP! Post pics too!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Landlord is having a service person come look at the Chlorinator tomorrow. I believe it is not working at all, cause the water was clear a week ago, and i can't see the bottom today. Once the chlorinator problem is solved they will have to clear it up, and I shouldn't have a problem then. I plan on getting a test kit, but there is a pool place about 3 minutes down the road from me that does free testing. They recommended weekly testing, but it wasn't even a week and this happened. I will look through pool school, and that testing. I'll get it cleared up, and post a pic sometime soon.
    About my pool: 15x32 IG Gunite, 16.2k gallons, SWG, Solaxx PureChlor, Cartridge filter

6. Back To Top    #6

SWG was replaced, a little chlorine dumped in the pool, It's starting to clear up.
    About my pool: 15x32 IG Gunite, 16.2k gallons, SWG, Solaxx PureChlor, Cartridge filter

7. Back To Top    #7

You need to go through the SLAM process. Just running the SWG and putting a little chlorine in the pool isn't going to be enough to completely get rid of the algae.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

by a little chlorine I mean 5 gallons were dumped in. Doesn't look very green at all. It just looks cloudy. I was trying to read about the SLAM process. What exactly should I do next. The SWG was replaced last night, and I have been running the pool 24/7 since then. I took the filter cartridge out tonight and hosed it down. I'm not doing the chemicals right now my landlord is taking care of it till it gets balanced, but if it's something cheap I can go buy and dump in that would help I could do it. If I need $70 worth of chemicals I can't really do that.

Is 5 gallons a little chlorine?

9. Back To Top    #9

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...ntain-shocking

You need to read and understand that before proceeding and knowing how to proceed.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

So basically I will keep adding liquid chlorine keeping it above a certain level testin at least morning and night until it changes less then 1ppm? If I do not have a test kit can I just get the water tested at the pool store?

11. Back To Top    #11

You can, but the results are inaccurate at best, outright wrong at worst. You cannot accurate SLAM the pool without an accurate, drop based kit.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

12. Back To Top    #12

well I def need a kit. Just gotta get the money. I guess I will run to the pool store since its about 3 minutes down the road and see what they say. Once I get this thing cleared up it should give me some time till i can buy the pool kit PLUS the Landlord is the one responsible clearing it up this time. I'm gonna send her a message and see if she'll get it tested today.

13. Back To Top    #13

I spoke with the landlord and she's going to have it tested today, and add anything it needs.

14. Back To Top    #14

This was my pool yesterday afternoon. Also my landlord replaced the SWG and had a Solaxx PureChlor put in

10157300_10152054218688862_6216710414176954154_n.jpg
    10256814_10152054219798862_5478753456796117057_n.jpg

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...ntain-shocking

You need to read and understand that before proceeding and knowing how to proceed.
    Reading the chlorine n cya chart would it be recommended I maintain higher levels to protect from the sun here in Florida. I think my pool gets probably 4 hours of lots of sun during the day, I have some really tall pine tree's in my yard that block the morning sun then about 11-3 or 4 my pool is in direct sunlight. It is also screened in. Don't know if that makes any difference.

16. Back To Top    #16

With the SWG, you want the CYA around 70ppm, but since you need to SLAM, that is best done at lower CYA.

Btw, mixing our advice and having to use the pool store is just going to get confusing and frustrating.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

17. Back To Top    #17

noted. I am learning. I need to get that test kit.

18. Back To Top    #18

Landlord had the pool tested. I'll see the actual numbers when I get home from work but they told her all the pool needs is acid. So we'll see. I'll post numbers when I get them.

19. Back To Top    #19

If there is algae in the water and it is not crystal clear, then it clearly needs more than just acid.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

20. Back To Top    #20

the algea looked cleared up to me, just looks cloudy. If algea is in a pool for a long time, can it stain the walls? will this clear up over time?

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast