Verify my treatment?

Apr 5, 2014
Anderson, SC
Just bought a home with a pool. Has swg but has been disconnected for some time, I believe I have fixed it but am waiting on my pool to balance out before cutting it on. Tf-100 test kit.

Fc=3
Cc=0
Tc=3
Ta=0
Ch=350+ quit counting because cya is high also and I knew I needed a drain
Cya= 200, diluted half tap water on second test since first test only made it half way to the 100 tick mark.

My ph was too low to read so I immediately added borax about 15 lbs at a time till I got 40 lbs in, got to ta=40 and ph=6.8

Started draining at this point, only going to bottom of skimmer, I have two bottom drains but not sure if it's safe to cut skimmer off and all. That's about 4" at a time so 18x40x.333x7.48=1800 gallons per drain. I'm testing every few drains and will go from there.

Should I do anything differently? Should I work on ph even though I'm currently doing drains and refills?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I have only used bleach since buying the house, no pucks for me but there was pucks in the skimmer and a clogged de filter, skimmer and robot full of trash. Water is crystal clear with some particles only visible when light is on at night.

If you have the ability to isolate the bottom drains from the skimmers, by all means, use them. As long as you leave a foot or so in the shallowest part of the pool, you should be fine. I wouldn't bother adjusting anything until you're done with water replacement. Why spend money on chemicals just to pump them out again?

I can't answer all of your questions but I would suggest getting CYA fixed with draining first. On the draining.....I'm sure every setup is different but we "accidentally" drained most of our pool last summer when "somebody" left the filter set to waste while pump was OFF overnight. I'm sure it has to do with how downhill the drain/pump are from those two pool infloor drains in the pool. That might be an option depending on your setup. We obviously went well below our skimmers with maybe a foot left in shallow end when we woke up. It wasn't a good day. Also.....we are out in the country and not on sewer and don't have neighbors but a two acre pond to absorb the runoff which are all factors in any drain attempt.

You need to drain a lot more at a time or it is going to take forever to get the CYA down. If you can no isolate the floor, then renting or buying a sump pump is a good option.

Sounds like you did a lot of reading before getting started and put together a good plan :goodjob:

Couple of other options for draining:

• A simple siphon with a garden hose is effective and faster than you might imagine.
  • To drain below the skimmer level, plug the vacuum hose into the skimmer suction hole, put the vacuum head against the floor in the deep end, and pump it out. If you've got a tight fit into the skimmer hole, this'll work good & quick.

Good luck!

I found the isolation valve. Wasn't really sure what it was as no one was here to get me up to speed on the pool. Lots of reading on this site has helped me get on my feet though. Thanks guys! Oh and I informed a fellow pool shopper about this site as I saw her grabbing powdered shock and chlorine tabs, she seemed honestly intrigued and put the items back, went home to research herself!

Today I am

Salt=3200
Fc=3.5
Cc=0
Ta=50
Ch=150
Cya=85
ph 7.8

Still needs a little more water but pump has been running, just turned chlorine generator on so if it is working properly fc should go up, cya should drop a little more, then I can work on upping ta slightly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.