Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Verify my treatment?

1. Back To Top    #1

Arrow Verify my treatment?

Just bought a home with a pool. Has swg but has been disconnected for some time, I believe I have fixed it but am waiting on my pool to balance out before cutting it on. Tf-100 test kit.

Fc=3
    Cc=0
    Tc=3
    Ta=0
    Ch=350+ quit counting because cya is high also and I knew I needed a drain
    Cya= 200, diluted half tap water on second test since first test only made it half way to the 100 tick mark.

My ph was too low to read so I immediately added borax about 15 lbs at a time till I got 40 lbs in, got to ta=40 and ph=6.8

Started draining at this point, only going to bottom of skimmer, I have two bottom drains but not sure if it's safe to cut skimmer off and all. That's about 4" at a time so 18x40x.333x7.48=1800 gallons per drain. I'm testing every few drains and will go from there.

Should I do anything differently? Should I work on ph even though I'm currently doing drains and refills?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I have only used bleach since buying the house, no pucks for me but there was pucks in the skimmer and a clogged de filter, skimmer and robot full of trash. Water is crystal clear with some particles only visible when light is on at night.
    27,000 gallon vinyl in ground
    Sta-rite system 3 de filter
    Sta-rite dura glass pump
    Autopilot digital with sc-48 (currently being repaired)
    Tf-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Verify my treatment?

If you have the ability to isolate the bottom drains from the skimmers, by all means, use them. As long as you leave a foot or so in the shallowest part of the pool, you should be fine. I wouldn't bother adjusting anything until you're done with water replacement. Why spend money on chemicals just to pump them out again?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I can't answer all of your questions but I would suggest getting CYA fixed with draining first. On the draining.....I'm sure every setup is different but we "accidentally" drained most of our pool last summer when "somebody" left the filter set to waste while pump was OFF overnight. I'm sure it has to do with how downhill the drain/pump are from those two pool infloor drains in the pool. That might be an option depending on your setup. We obviously went well below our skimmers with maybe a foot left in shallow end when we woke up. It wasn't a good day. Also.....we are out in the country and not on sewer and don't have neighbors but a two acre pond to absorb the runoff which are all factors in any drain attempt.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

4. Back To Top    #4

You need to drain a lot more at a time or it is going to take forever to get the CYA down. If you can no isolate the floor, then renting or buying a sump pump is a good option.

Sounds like you did a lot of reading before getting started and put together a good plan
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Will go work on isolating bottom drain. Thanks guys
    Sta-rite dura glass pump
    Tf-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Couple of other options for draining:

• A simple siphon with a garden hose is effective and faster than you might imagine.
    • To drain below the skimmer level, plug the vacuum hose into the skimmer suction hole, put the vacuum head against the floor in the deep end, and pump it out. If you've got a tight fit into the skimmer hole, this'll work good & quick.

Good luck!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

I found the isolation valve. Wasn't really sure what it was as no one was here to get me up to speed on the pool. Lots of reading on this site has helped me get on my feet though. Thanks guys! Oh and I informed a fellow pool shopper about this site as I saw her grabbing powdered shock and chlorine tabs, she seemed honestly intrigued and put the items back, went home to research herself!
    Sta-rite dura glass pump
    Tf-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Score one for Chris!!!

you may have just saved another pool!
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

Nice work!! ... you might want some of these: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...Business-Cards
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Today I am

Salt=3200
    Fc=3.5
    Cc=0
    Ta=50
    Ch=150
    Cya=85
    ph 7.8

Still needs a little more water but pump has been running, just turned chlorine generator on so if it is working properly fc should go up, cya should drop a little more, then I can work on upping ta slightly.
    Sta-rite dura glass pump
    Tf-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Why do you think the CYA is going to drop?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

It wasn't quite done filling, probably needed 1k more gallons.
    Sta-rite dura glass pump
    Tf-100 test kit